How-To Geek Forums / Off Topic

travel-whs

(23 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by elpaelpa
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 2120 times

elpaelpa
elpaelpa

whs-you sound like you travel quite a bit.Where have you been in the U.S. besides Fla.? Ever been to central New York State, the Finger Lakes area? Beautiful country and known for the wines produced there, although I doubt they compare to French or Italian vintage! My wife's part Native American and her family is from the area. Keuka is the nicest lake, very clean and not as cold as Seneca (which is 600' deep).Excellent scenery throughout the area but 'baited' for tourism! Well worth a look! Anyone else been there?

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Of course I was there. Lived in Broome county (Binghampton) for 2 years. I know all about the area. Travelled there in later times too. I know a nice restaurant by the lake in Geneva. The wines are not really to my taste. I like burgundies from the Bourgogne and Cahors from the Lot (a french departement in the southwest). Besides, I have been in more than half of the US states. Also lived in California for over 3 years and travelled the whole west - owned a motorhome at the time which was useful out in the boonies. The states I really do not know are along the Mississippi river, Alaska and Hawai. So now you have my life story - at least the US part.
PS: I forgot to mention my 3 years in Westchester county (White Plains).

Posted 5 years ago

elpaelpa
elpaelpa

whs-You ARE amazing!You've apparently done and seen more in your lifetime than most people do in ten!People like yourself should write books!Amazing!

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Ya, you are probably right. But there are downsides - like having to move your whole household 24 times, operating in multiple languages all the time (which is can really wear you out), spending half of your life in planes, airports and hotels and at the end you have no place you can call home.

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

whs, didn't you find it made life interesting? I went along similar lines and loved the experience.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Definitely, it was interesting. But it comes at a price. Still, if I had to do it again, I would not want to change anything.

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Absolutely. It enriches your life, broadens your knowledge, tolerance, understanding of the inevitable, and much, much more.

Posted 5 years ago

quahog
quahog

Did you get to see a lot of cool sites?

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

How about this for cool sites http://s260.photobucket.com/al.....ague%2068/ That was in 1968 in Prague - if you remember history.
PS: Click on the pics to enlarge - you can do that twice (in 2 steps)

Posted 5 years ago

quahog
quahog

Did you take those pictures?

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Yes, except the last one, where I am the second from the right.

Posted 5 years ago

elpaelpa
elpaelpa

There is a book in this snipit of your life without even going any farther!Too bad politics aren't allowed as it would be interesting to know your thoughts, feelings,people of interest you encountered,etc.during a very troubling time in world history!I would have guest you to be a tall,thin man but you appear to be an athlete,another geek myth down the tubes!Have anymore pics?They are enjoyable to look at (seeing history is like looking in a mirror)!

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

I have a lot more pictures from over the years. Most of them are in shoeboxes in the basement. One day I should scan them in. And there are also a lot of slides. I think there are devices to scan those in too.
One certainly meets a lot of interesting people all over the world - and they are really no different regardless where you go. The categories are the same whether you are east, west, north or south. You take a sample in your immediate vicinity - and that would apply wherever you go. The emphasis on certain points may be a little different, the educational background too, but the base is always the same.

Posted 5 years ago

elpaelpa
elpaelpa

whs-My wife would like to know if the restraurant in Geneva was Belhurst Castle.She took her father there shortly after her mom died and loved it.In fact, they are having a spiritualist there tonight and she would like to go but can't.
@lighthouse-are you also a traveler,a seeker of adventure?You are from England I believe, ever been to the 'colonies'?

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

@whs i think suits you well :) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eI4BumtpfA

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

@Jack, thanks for the Johnny Cash rendition. Recognized quite a few places such as Winnemucca - Nevada (a real one horse town), or Crater Lake - Oregon (cold Country).
@elpaelpa, I really do not remember the name of the place. They had a big terrace over the lake and I remember that at nightfall there was a gezillion mosquitos trying to eat our dinner.

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

@elpaelpa. My experiences and whs's are totally different. (I hope you don't mind me talking about you whs (and jump in if I am wrong)). I believe Wolfgangs travels were mainly work related, whilst mine are not. (have to come back later to finish this post).

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Lighthouse is 50% right. My travels were half work and half pleasure. Of course, with my 9 foreign work assignments to all those exotic places where I stayed between 2 and 3 years each time, I had a good base to venture into the close and far surroundings for pleasure.

Posted 5 years ago

jraparrish

It would appear from your picture taken in Prague, I would now place you closer to my father's age. That is if your were roughly 30 years old in the picture. I was 10 years old in 1968, and really not much interested in the world at large. We lived outside of Orlando, Winter Garden to be exact. Dad was a Trooper on the Turnpike and we lived on a Cattle Ranch owned by a local judge that spanned both sides of the Turnpike. Probably somewhere close to 1000 acre at the time. It is all housing developements now, and I have been there twice in the last two years. May not go back as the emotional pain and anger of what has happened to what I felt like was paradise is just too hard. If you have been visiting Florida for many years, you have seen what I am talking about.

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

@jraparrish. You are younger than me!
Check out
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....replies=86
Gives you an idea (does wander off topic at times (what's new:)))

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!