The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Apple / OS X

Transferring videos and photos from Laptop/Nokia to iPad2

(17 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by baffled2012
  • Latest reply from baffled2012
  • Topic Viewed 9516 times

baffled2012

Thanks to everyone for this great site. Normally I would find answers to all my problems here but not this time.

After searching/browsing your site for an answer for the past few days, I decided to become a member.

Recently I bought the iPad2. After reading the pros and cons for both the iPad and Android I settled for the iPad. Now I'm sorry I did.

I find I can’t send my videos and photos from my Nokia N79 to the iPad. I cannot pair them. Although I paired the iPad to my HP Laptop, I can’t send files from there to my iPad too. I don’t want to use iTunes as I only want to transfer a few of my favourites videos and photos from my Nokia and Laptop to the iPad, not all.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Posted 2 years ago

hatryst

Hi Baffled2012, welcome. One thing you should ALWAYS know about Apple gadgets- they (almost all of them) require iTunes, you HAVE to use iTunes to transfer data to the gadget you own. In your case, you are trying to send files to the iPad via bluetooth, probably. No, it won't work. Apple does not allow file sharing via bluetooth (although it is possible but difficult). So (in a nutshell) all you need to do is download and install iTunes, attach your iPad with your computer, and add the video files you want to copy. Then click on your iPad in the sidebar, and click 'Sync'.

Posted 2 years ago

Enthusiast

baffled2012,

Welcome to HTG!

As iTunes is the easiest (and recommended) way to transfer files from your computer to your iPad, you should break down and just do it that way. At least until you come across another way to get it done. There are other ways to transfer music that don't work for videos, and could possibly mess up your database on the iPad. Be safe, go with iTunes, for now.

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten

For what it is worth, WonderShare (Program IMATE is one) has some programs (I've used them) that will do what you want.

Other programs exist that do it another way too. AIRPLAYIT and AIRAV will allow you to transmit over WiFi content on your PC to the iPad and play it. The last will work with any Media Server, and my Router has one built-in, so I connect an External USB drive to the Router and then transfer files I want to the drive and play them on my iPad2.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

baffled2012

Thanks for the welcome and the replies.

I have to admit I am not an Apple fan and although I always had iTunes on my Laptop, (comes pre-installed) I never, ever used it. Like I mentioned earlier, big mistake buying the iPad.

Is there any quick tut on how to use ITunes, adding only the files I want and not every file in my photo albums and video files.

Thanks once again

Posted 2 years ago

hatryst

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QswK06vYEIc

Or you can simply add files to your iTunes libraray, attach your iPad, once it shows up in the sidebar, open your iTunes library for (lets say, Movies, if you want to sync movies), and drag the movie file (that you want to copy to your iPad) and drop it on your iPad in the sidebar. That's the simplest way to sync.

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten

I've got so many pictures moving them individually was a pain. So I created a NEW folder and then moved what I wanted into that folder and told iTunes to use that folder for the iPad. This way I could delete the pictures from that folder and when iTunes synched they were off the iPad. Same for movie files.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

baffled2012

Thanks for the quick response.

I will give it a try.

Posted 2 years ago

baffled2012

Thanks for all your help. I think I need to see if i can find a realplayer for ipad. Most of my music files cannot be played on itunes. I mean I could only add .wav and mp3 files to itunes.

Thanks again

Posted 2 years ago

hatryst

What other files do you need to add? What are the formats of those music files?

Posted 2 years ago

baffled2012

I could not find a download for realpayer for the ipad2.

The music/videos files are mainly .ram, .wav, wma and mp3, mp4. Most of them however are .ram, mp3, mp4 and .wma

Is there are way to convert these files for the ipad.

Initially I thought my mp3 were included but I found only my .wav files on my ipad.

Thanks once again for taking the time to help

Posted 2 years ago

hatryst

For converting audio/video files,
http://format-factory.en.softonic.com/download

Posted 2 years ago

baffled2012

Thanks for the link. For now, I need to see how itunes really works. Yesterday when I attached the ipad to my laptop, I updated to the new version of the iOS but lost all my apps. Thank God, all the apps so far were the "free" ones. I also lost all my pdf files. I never was a fan of Apples and after having so many hassles with my first Mac, I never looked at Apples gadgets again.... till now... a big mistake, hopefully it will turn into a learning experience.

Now I will be browsing this wonderful site for tips on using the ipad and itunes.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond with suggestions.

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten

Install iTunes and be done with it. Set it up to back-up everything on the iPad or better yet, burn it all to a DVD (use R/W's) to be safe. Then set-up the Synching, that is define which PC folders/files to synch. Once this is done, do a synch. That will get the files off of the iPad and put needed files on the iPad. Only then you should update the iOS.

Even if you've purchased the apps I think if you open the App store on the iPad (icon on bottom) you can restore them, but you will lose settings and possible game scores.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

baffled2012

Thanks for your reply

I have itunes installed already but it does all kinds of funny things. I don't wanted to synch my ipad with my laptop only move a few selected music and video files from my laptop my ipad- this will be done only once too. These files were from my Nokia phone which I transferred to the laptop to transfer to the ipad. lol

Anyway, now I have no desire to attach the my ipad to my laptop, till i get a better understand how both work. (the itunes and ipad) I found some nice tips here and still browsing and searching.

Do you mean that if I purchased any apps, I can restore without PAYING for it again? Are you serious about this?

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten

First thing you should do is set up iTunes. Do not synch, although if you do it shouldn't matter. Hmm, looks like you must attach the iPad to be able to do this... it will try to synch automatically, don't worry about it.

In iTunes when the iPad is attached you get synch options to set. For video's and music, point to a special drive folder that holds ONLY what you want to put on the iPad. So create these folders before you attach the iPad... just move the wanted video/photo's to those folders. Then set the options under the proper tab for the iPad to point to those. When you synch the iPad it will copy what it has as far as video/pictures to the PC and those that are in those folders that it doesn't have to the iPad. When you no longer want those items on the iPad, just delete them from the folders and on the next synch they will be gone from the iPad.

The Purchased Tab on the iPad's App store appears to me to show all the apps on the iPad. It appears to me that ones I've taken off the iPad are there with a down arrow for it. Ones already on the iPad have a 'hide' option when basically deletes them. Of all I have the Down arrow on I can't tell for sure if I actually paid for them or they were free. I have 320 apps and I'm sure 95% were free and they all appear the same to me. I know I bought a few games (Hidden Object Games) for the grandkids to play with me, and once finished deleted them, but since some were also free I can't be 100% sure these were the paid or free ones. All I can say is 'look' and see what happens.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

baffled2012

Thanks Irv for taking the time to respond. I only got the ipad for two weeks now and I have a million gray hairs already.

I managed to sort it out now, I did not set up my Apple Id in itunes so I did not see the photo, music options tabs etc.

I checked the purchased tab and found all my previous apps on the list too, with the ones I downloaded again after I did the update and restore.

Thanks again for your help

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.