How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Transfer Firefox Bookmarks from one computer to another

(10 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by jmcguire
  • Latest reply from InDiSent
  • Topic Viewed 47235 times

jmcguire
jmcguire

I have two computers, both with their own bookmarks, but I would like to transfer certain bookmarks from one computer to the other without deleting the bookmarks on the receiving computer. I know of the online bookmark utilities, and while they are nice, I do not have a need or want to use them.

Does anyone know of a way to simply transfer and integrate bookmarks?

Posted 5 years ago

wallaceb
wallaceb

in FF, if you go to bookmarks>organize book marks
now go to file>export

and save the book marks to the computers you want them on
now, on the other computers, do the same thing except use the import instead of export option.

Posted 5 years ago

jmcguire
jmcguire

But, when you import bookmarks, it deletes the pre-existing bookmarks.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Is this Firefox 2, Firefox 3, or both? It matters because the bookmark system has changed dramatically in FF3 to use an SQLite database.

I can understand if you don't want an add-on such as FoxMarks keeping *your* bookmarks on *their* server, but it would certainly handle this kind of syncing. I suspect there must be some offline tools for merging bookmark files. With FF3 it's using a standard database. How is your SQL? :-)

Posted 5 years ago

InDiSent
InDiSent

I use a really nice FF extension called Foxmarks. It lets you sync your FF bookmarks across as many computers as you want.

http://www.foxmarks.com/

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

@InDiSent, I believe that when JMccuire talks about not wanting to use an "online" bookmark utility in his first post, he is thinking of tools such as FoxMarks that keep a person's bookmarks stored on a remote server. Not everyone is comfortable with having their private bookmarks stored out on public servers. Since you use FoxMarks, do you know if it's possible to use it to sync bookmarks *without* saving them on the Internet?

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

I thought when Firefox imports bookmarks they are added to the current bookmarks not overwriting them.
I haven't used the import function recently so I'll have to try it later to be sure.
@jmcguire: Did you try it and have bookmarks overwritten?

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

It looks like jd2066 is correct. See this FAQ from Mozillazine:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Fire....._Bookmarks

From which I quote: "The imported bookmarks will be added to the current bookmarks."

Posted 5 years ago

jmcguire
jmcguire

Sorry. My internet went down yesterday almost immediately after my post. I did not have my bookmarks overwritten. I believe I was mistaken and thinking about the recover function.

Thanks everyone for their help.

Posted 5 years ago

InDiSent
InDiSent

I have mine overwrite. If i have a new FF install, when i sync with foxmarks it will be the same as on my other PCs. Also, i thought there was an option to use your own server for the bookmarks. ....here it is :

Can I use Foxmarks with my own server?

Foxmarks currently supports both FTP and WebDAV (via HTTP or HTTPS). Just fill in the appropriate server settings on the Foxmarks dialog (including the "Advanced Server Settings" on the "Other" tab) to connect Foxmarks with your server. In our experience, WebDAV is faster and more robust than FTP, but both work. Recently we've made some improvements to optimize network utilization, but those improvements are available only to WebDAV installations. Moving forward, FTP will probably not be so well supported, as it's just a more limited server.

If you use your own server, we're less able to help you with problems that you might encounter. Caveat switchor.

The Setup Wizard assumes that you're using the Foxmarks server, and knows how to set up accounts only on sync.foxmarks.com. If you're using your own server, don't use the Setup Wizard (press Cancel when it starts).

While we can't provide support if you're using your own server, we're collecting information provided by users who choose to go that route.
Can I run my own Foxmarks server?

You can run parts of it yourself. Foxmarks was once based on the Open Source Application Foundation's Cosmo Server, which you can download and install yourself. For a variety of reasons, mostly related to the volume of traffic we handle, we're no longer using Cosmo, but Foxmarks remains compatible with it.

Foxmarks should also run relatively well with any WebDAV server and less well with any FTP server; see the question above. --Todd 11:06, 2 March 2006 (EST)

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!