The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

(Solved) - trans bookmarks from xp to windows 8

(15 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by azjoe
  • Latest reply from Xhi
  • Topic Viewed 2330 times

azjoe

I have asked ,looked , talked to a lot of forum's, and I can't get my bookmarks off my flash drive to my new windows 8 computer. The last bit of info I received said to select bookmarks select show all bookmarks and to choose import bookmarks from HTML but when I do that import bookmarks from HTML does not show up as a choice. I just wished that I could talk to someone live that could help me, but I will try what ever info it takes to be able to fix this. I hope to hear from someone that can help me with what I am sure a lot of people think is just not that hard to do , but I have been looking for help from abt the 15th of dec. Looking at you tube videos,looking on Bing ect. Thanks Joe

?

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Can you open the bookmarks in Windows 8 by double clicking on the htm file ??

Posted 1 year ago

azjoe

Not sure what you mean.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Double click on the bookmarks file that is on the flash drive.

Posted 1 year ago

azjoe

I double clicked on the bookmarks on the window 8 computer in disk management double clicked on my flash drive with it plugged in to the computer the next pop up i can see the bookmarks are listed. If I click open on the bookmarks it just shows the list of bookmarks on the flash drive.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Click on any of the bookmarks - does that open the corresponding webpage ??

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

You export your favorites in XP IE by Alt + F -> Import/export -> Export -> Favorites. Then you copy the Bookmark.htm file thus created to your windows 8 computer and in IE 10 do ALT + F -> Import/export -> Import them.

Posted 1 year ago

azjoe

Yes when I click on the bookmark it takes me to that sight ..

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Then they are good. All you have to do is to import them into the IE.

Posted 1 year ago

azjoe

well I use firefox and the only bookmarks I have there are the ones that I put on after I started windows 8. I still can't get the firefox bookmarks from xp of my flash drive to the windows 8 bookmarks in firefox I don't use IE

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Then I guess you have to import them into FF. I do not use FF - maybe someone who does can help.

Posted 1 year ago

azjoe

Any one else have some ideas ????????????????????

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

In Firefox you hit CTRL + Shift + B then in the Library window select "Import and Backup" and select "Import Bookmarks from HTML". Then navigate to your flash drive with the bookmark.html file on it.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

azjoe

WOW I did that and it worked, I am happy I now have my old list of bookmarks I really thank you very much. Also thanks to the others that sent me info abt this..

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Glad you got it sorted out.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.