http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....re=related

Posted 6 years ago

mpc104
mpc104

yea thats a good one

Posted 6 years ago

pipo
pipo

darn, i can't watch it here at the office (its blocked), what's it about?

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I didn't understand it. It must be an American thing!

Posted 6 years ago

taybay
taybay

Haha. "cut the cheese" is slang for flatulence. There were some other slangs I wont go into detail about.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Now I know why I did not think it was funny. The Geek should publish stuff that people understand.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Yeah, I should have known better...

Posted 6 years ago

Smashpmk712
Smashpmk712

@WHS, Come on ... don't give the geek such a hard time of it. He was just trying to share something that he thought was funny. this is suppose to more than a help desk. It is suppose to be a place where geeks can be with geeks in united geekhood. One of the the things geeks do is share funny things from the internet. not everyone has the same humor but for those of you you who do share the geeks point of view on the subject I say horah!

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

@smash, you did not get my point. I would like to laugh too and I love to participate in the fun times we have. BUT, how about if I posted a joke in German slang - you think it will make you laugh? Even Lighthouse, who is English, did not understand it. Question is whether you want to create an American subculture on the Forum or whether we keep it "international". That's also why I always plead for the use of proper English. At least then most people can follow.
And Btw: I was not trying to give the Geek a hard time. I think he understood what I meant.

Posted 6 years ago

Smashpmk712
Smashpmk712

In the case that you posted something in German slang than I would just ask what it means. I don't see it as creating an American subculture any more than the HTG fantasy baseball league(I know people in other countries would enjoy this but it does relate to an American league sport) another example would be when you posted a site in another language here http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=5 but you could have posted the English translation of the site which is found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gothic_language. These are just a few examples of how we all come from different parts of the world and show it. everyday I see posts in which the user posts something from the country but it never offends me or makes me feel like the is going to be a subculture for that country. sharing things from each others home countries is one of the things I like best about HTG. I think it would be a shame for this to be an unwelcoming place to post things that you think others might enjoy.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

well smash, I guess we could argue for a while. With my gothic language posting I think I indicated how to get the (somehow) translated version. And I did not really expect this to be on anybody's top reading list. It was just an example of things I keep in my favorites - not for sharing the content. The baseball fantasy thing is another of those examples. As of this hour 316 people have viewed the posting and 1 (one) person has signed up. How many people e.g. in Europe you think know anything about baseball? So you automatically exclude all of those from participating. Sharing across cultures has my full support. I have lived in many countries for half of my life and certainly support the multiculture idea. But if something is such that others cannot undestand, the sharing idea has it's limits.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!