How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Toshiba Laptop Not Booting Up

(30 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by garyallen349
  • Latest reply from garyallen349
  • Topic Viewed 1300 times

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Can you post a link to the schematic circuit diagram please.

Posted 1 year ago

garyallen349

Hi Lighthouse

Here is link http://laptop-schematics.com/free-samples/

Gary

Posted 1 year ago

G41M

You can use a multimeter to check the switch. There are I think 4 pins on them - two gets in contact when you press the switch. Test all the combination using continuity. There should be movement in the pointer when you press the switch. Alternatively, with power supply (battery or adapter), short the two pins with with a piece of wire (test all combinations), if the switch is bad, this should power on the laptop. Test also the flat ribbon cable going to the main board for continuity, especially the points from the switch going to the motherboard. I have seen some of them fails.

Posted 1 year ago

garyallen349

Hi G41M

Will have a closer look at the switch. This is my first laptop repair, a steep learning curve it appears.

Gary

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Not so much a learning curve but could become "a fools errand" as you have no source for highly proprietary replacement parts. The land fills are over flowing with proprietary electronic junk I'm afraid.

Tis Very Good if you can fix it. :)

Posted 1 year ago

garyallen349

Hi Raphoenix

Thanks for the advice, will have a look at the switch. If I can't find any problem will admit defeat.

Gary

Posted 1 year ago

garyallen349

Hi all

Just a last update. Had a look at the power switch pcb and all seemed to be working fine. Admitted defeat the only conclusion I could come to was a failed mobo. To expensive to repair for customer.

Thanks for all your help. Just starting out on my PC repair career so all the help I receive from how to geeks is very welcome. Thanks again.

Gary

Posted 1 year ago

garyallen349

Hi All

Just another query re this. On a Toshiba forum another person put forward the theory that defective memory would stop the laptop from powering up. If there was not a problem with the motherboard should the laptop not power up and defective memory be detected at the POST with the appropriate bleep signal.

Gary

Posted 1 year ago

G41M

Yes it I think it is possible if the defect is causing a short circuit on the motherboard, but it is rare. You can try removing the memory module(s) and power up the laptop. If laptop powers up, then maybe the "rare" thing happened to the laptop. One thing you might also like to look for is a busted fuse (marked as "F" on most pcbs) possibly on the power module.

Posted 1 year ago

garyallen349

Hi G41M

Thanks for that will check all your pointers. Definitely learning a few things.

Gary

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!