How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Toshiba Laptop C855D remove Win 8

(54 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by jjlk2
  • Latest reply from Designing5
  • Topic Viewed 3456 times

Designing5
Designing5

Good morning! I have been able to boot up my laptop with the usb stick and my Windows 7 installation disc. Then problem that I ran into is that I can neither repair, refresh or restore from the menu. I can however go to cmd prompt but don't know how to fix my problem from there.

I was unable to clean install W8 because it jumps from asking for the initial setup to a dialog saying that I typed a wrong password. I never had to option to type it in this time. So, I need to quit set up.

I have also tried to clean install Windows 7 but when there is no usable partition. Even though I chose the primary partition with 297 GB. it tells me that it's not usable because it's of the GPT partition style. How can I fix that? Once again, thanks in advance!

(My first choice would be to restore Windows 8 because I don't have the serial number and I would lose it if I reformat)
( If W8 fix fails, then I would need to know how to create a partition for it)

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

First we need the COMPLETE Model Number of the machine.

Posted 1 year ago

Designing5
Designing5

Here's the complete model and specs of this laptop.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

From the looks of the driver download page, the machine was built to run Windows 8.

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi.....1073768663

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Have you thought about returning the machine back for warranty repair ??

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/.....part-1.htm

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

What O/S are you really trying to install. You can't just keep trying to go from Win8 to win7 without preparing your hdd.
You will also need the correct mobo drivers. Those drivers should have been on your recovery partition. If that partition is destroyed then you need to go the mfg website and input your model and serial or product number and download all the drivers for both Win7 and Win8 so you have the correct drivers for the O/S you finally decide to install. Once you download all your drivers burn them to a disk so you have them ready.
Once that is done you will need to check your partitions and format your "C" drive to NTFS. Then start from scratch again.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi.....1073768663

looks like there are no drivers for win 7-64bit just their toshiba apps and only 1 toshiba app for win 7 32bit. I would stick with win 8

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Ya, check my same link above. :)

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

Lol!! Sorry Rick for being an echo. This is getting to be a long thread. I read germ-x's last post and decided to look for myself on toshiba's page. He may be able to get 7 to work, but after all the trouble already best bet is to go with 8 which is a guarantee.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Ya, need to use Windows 7 or Win RE/PE Diskpart and prepare the hard drive.

I think one can even do it With a Windows 8 Full Installation DVD or USB.

Then can Clean Install Windows 8.

After that can load in the Machine Drivers.

Many steps in the process but simple to do.

A walk through on the forum is almost impossible unless an OP has some previous knowledge base.

Posted 1 year ago

Designing5
Designing5

My mom bought the laptop online from Amazon and can't send it back. I can't afford to take it in for repair either.
I have decided to stick to whatever OS that you suggest. If Windows 8 is the best to do this, I'll stick to that, however, I will still need directions as far as the cmd Prompts that will be needed. I wonder if there is a tutorial to follow to do this. Once again, I will stick to ANY OS, as long as I get my laptop to work again.

Please Tell me what steps to take to get Windows 8 to work. I'm willing to spend ALL day following those "many steps" in order do this. Last night, I changed a BIOS setting: In System configuration, I changed UEFI to CMS Boot and I was finally able to boot from the USB and CD. Thanks guys!

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

If your mom purchased it for a Christmas gift then it should still be under warranty from the mfg.
If all fails you can contact Toshiba and get them to honor the warranty. Explain you cannot do a factory recovery / restore because the restore image is corrupt. They might send you free setup disks.
One other thought, if you were attempting to recover your win8 image from the recovery partition after attempting to install win7 there might be a problem with the MBR.
First you need to download all Win8 drivers from the mfg website.
Then as Rick pointed out you need to prepare your HDD using the win8 installation disk or other software.
If you have doubts than I would suggest Partition Wizard since it has a windows interface and might be a little easier to use
http://www.partitionwizard.com.....nager.html

Posted 1 year ago

Designing5
Designing5

Thanks a lot my friends. I will try to do something about this. I appreciate the help!

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.