The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Toshiba Laptop C855D remove Win 8

(54 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by jjlk2
  • Latest reply from Designing5
  • Topic Viewed 3456 times

jjlk2

hope u can help me remove this......I want to reinstall my win 7 from CD. I have tried to follow how to get into the trouble shooting 7 get to boot options but it is not working.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

1. I would make an image of Windows 8 so that you can always go back to it if everything else fails. After all you have paid for it.

2. If you have a Windows 7 retail installation disc with a product key that is not used elsewhere, you can completely wipe the disk (e.g. with Diskpart > Clean in cmd from your installation disc) and then do a normal Windows 7 install.

3. If you get stuck with the UEFI, you may want to consult this thread.

Posted 1 year ago

Designing5
Designing5

What software do you recommend to make an image of Windows 8?

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

@ Designing5- Everyone on here recommends Macrium Reflect. I did test it and it worked great. I have been using Clonezilla for over 6 years. There are also other imaging software that will do the job. Your choice.

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk
afuhnk

But make sure you get the latest version.
At work we use Acronis True Image and versions prior to 2013 would not work (properly) with Windows 8.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Have a look at this

Posted 1 year ago

Designing5
Designing5

Bad news. I was trying to create a partition on my C: drive. When I restarted my system, I got this blue screen error
What do I do now? It won't let me go to F8 to change my start up settings. I just want to reformat the computer now but I have not been able to change the booting order accurately, I think. I can't imagine how to fix this without your help. Thanks so much in advance!

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Did you actually create an additional partition - and how did you do it ?? You may have run into dynamic partitions.

Get the bootable CD Partition Wizard .iso (it is the last entry on the webpage) Burn this to CD (e.g. with ImgBurn) and boot the system with that CD. Then see what you have. If possible take a readable picture of the screen with a camera and post that here.

Posted 1 year ago

Designing5
Designing5

I was using Partition Magic. Before I could see your magnificent response yesterday, I went ahead and tried to do it. I applied it by hitting the check mark on the program and the laptop restarted (to not start again). By the way, did you see the error message screen that I speak about?

The only other place that I can go to is BIOS, which is where I changed the booting order

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

Partition Magic has been outdated since XP. Best to download the Partition Wizard utility from whs link above and give that a try.

Posted 1 year ago

Designing5
Designing5

I certainly will but it's too late, now that I got this little problem :(

Posted 1 year ago

Designing5
Designing5

@ whs... I did what you suggested but, the CD with the iso that I downloaded from your link did not work. The same blue screen with the same error came up. You got any other suggestions????

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

That CD has a mini Windows 7 on it. If that does not load, then you may have a hardware problem - possibly with the RAM sticks. But make another test. Find a live Linux CD (e.g. this one, it's small). Now if that does not load either, than it is definitely hardware.

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

Did you just burn the .iso? You need to burn the .iso to a bootable Cd.
Most use imageburn.
http://download.cnet.com/ImgBu.....47481.html

Posted 1 year ago

Designing5
Designing5

Ooops! I already burnt it ! How do I make it bootable now that I took the disk out of the tray?

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Set the BIOS to boot from CD first and put it back into the tray. Watch the screen. There may be a message "Press any Key".

Posted 1 year ago

Designing5
Designing5

I did JUST that. However, it takes me to the blue screen again. I'm gonna try it on this computer first and I'll let you know.....

Posted 1 year ago

Designing5
Designing5

Well, I tried to use my installation disc that I burned. I figured that I would just clean install and use my serial later. The problem is that, even though the DVD spins (cause I can hear it), the laptop will not boot up from it and it reverts back to the same blue screen here. I am soooooo frustrated with this because I know it was my fault and I don't know how to get a way around this. I wish that there was a quick way to wipe everything and clean install.... Thanks!

This is the infamous screen that I always end up at:

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

I would try one of two things to format the disk in the lappie. I would download gparted iso. Burn it to CD as an image. Boot from the CD and format the entire disk. Or just delete all partitions and leave as unallocated space. Then try to install Windows.

The other option is to take the hard drive out of the lappie and attach it to another machine to accomplish the format.

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

Have you changed your BIOs so your optical device is listed as the first boot option?
If you insert a bootable CD /DVD in your tray and if the BIOS is set correctly then the system should boot to whatever is on your bootable disk you have in the tray while powering up.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!