The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

top 20 software

(121 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by HASH
  • Latest reply from xenomex
  • Topic Viewed 11039 times

ThornyCrown

I can never go without thermal monitoring programs. I have o/c my system a bit and always like to keep a close eye on temps. Does anyone know of a good monitoring program that has a small footprint?

Thorn

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Use this http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ -- minimize the window and you will see it in the system tray. You can change the colors of the nums displayed. White, yellow, green are easier to read than the standard red.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

There is one called "Yeti", but I think it's only for computers that run too cold :)

Posted 6 years ago

ThornyCrown

CoreTemp appears to be only for Core 2 Duo based processors.
I am running a trusty Pentium D.
But thankou anyway, I got all excited because it was Vista 64bit compliant. But then it told me to piss off because "It is not a "Core" based processor.

Thorn

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

you can never run too cold unless you live in antarctica

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

Yeah, closer to superconductivity (what's the date)?

Posted 6 years ago

whs

@ThornyCrown, I am not sure about Core Temp amd your Pentium. Try it. You can also try this one: http://www.stvsoft.com/

Posted 6 years ago

ThornyCrown

I tried to install CoreTemp, but it would not install.
However, sensorview is working but it only picks up my HDD temps and it is displaying the wrong CPU clock speed.

Thorn

Posted 6 years ago

HASH

@ThornyCrown
Cool, and i thought i was the only one fustrated and worried about temps in my comp.

OK if your looking for a program that covers almost everything you must get:
SpeedFan
This program not only shows the temperature of your cpu, or if you have two cpu, it can show temperature of parts in your motherboard, harddrive and more. You can also see the fan speeds and even adjust them or overclock. Speedfan also has the capability to find voltages and you can play around with that too, but it is very not reccomennded. I LOVE this program and i use it in my desktop xp, and Speedfan has detected, almost everything, you can minimize it to the traybar and have it start from startup. If you wanna know how to ask me.

Next if Speedfan doesnt detect anything other than your cpus, (may be result to a motherboard doesnt like to be detected, or maybe an unsupported hardware.)
If thats the case, i use CoreTemp, i use it on my laptop, as SpeedFan can only detect the two cpus, so why install Speedfan, but have a much smaller utility CoreTemp.

So have fun deciding

Posted 6 years ago

pipo

@Lighthouse
is that true? "Yeti" to check if your PC is running cold? or was that a joke? ^_^

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

Hi pipo, well it was 1st April, so yes, joke

Posted 6 years ago

pipo

didn't know if i was gonna believe it or not, i think the quotes gave it away, lol. ^_^

Posted 6 years ago

snugglez64

hi guys, does any one have a link where i can download the ie tab for firefox? im using version 2.0.0.13 and i cant seem 2 find it.. also, is there away that i can back up my firefox add on an install it on other machine? sorry for hijackin the thread...

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

Here. The 2nd one down 1.3.3
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addons/versions/1419

You could try MozBackup to copy extensions across
(or for your info)
On my machine the IE Tab extension is at,
C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\9o2w52aj.default\extensions\{77b819fa-95ad-4f2c-ac7c-486b356188a9}

Posted 6 years ago

HASH

Is it necessary to have AVG Free Edition (Antivirus) and Spybot Search and Destroy at the same time?

Posted 6 years ago

whs

AVG and Spybot serve 2 different purposes. AVG is to keep malware out of your system. Spybot watches your directory and is useful for scanning. It finds certain things, but not all. It cannot keep malware out of your system - just limit the damages or throw certain things out (e.g. tracking cookies). You can run both together. I have both (not AVG but similar).

Posted 6 years ago

HASH

Ok thanks, and which one is better? Comodo Firewall Pro 3.0 or PeerGuardian (i read that tracks IP etc)
or can i run both programs together?

Posted 6 years ago

whs

No idea, I use the Vista Firewall which is supposed to be pretty good. I would not recommend 2 firewalls at the same time. 90% sure that this spells trouble.

Posted 6 years ago

HASH

ok thanks, Peerguardian is supposed to protect your IP address.

Posted 6 years ago

HASH

What are your opinions on pdf readers? I currently use Foxxit Reader, and i have Adobe installed, but what do you guyz prefer?

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.