How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

top 20 software

(121 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by HASH
  • Latest reply from xenomex
  • Topic Viewed 11039 times

whs
whs

Well, Spybot really only watches your directory and will announce any changes there. You can also scan with it to find tracking cookies, etc. But that is no virus protection perse - not to speak of rootkits and any other vicious attackers. For that you need a Norton, Kaspersky, BitDefender, Avast Prof., Antivir Prof., etc.
Norton Ghost is a recovery system, not a protection system. But it gives you complete peace of mind.

Posted 6 years ago

HASH
HASH

Fine, you have once again convinced me whs, i will search for a recovery system by the names you have mentioned.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Hash, it's not "names" (plural) it's just GHOST14 that is a 'recovery system'. The others I mentioned are security systems that actively protect you.

Posted 6 years ago

mysticgeek

One of my pet peeves is lists of software on the internet. BEST FREEWARE EVER!!! eh... come on.

but ... I would say VLC, alcohol 120%, Firefox, Foxit Reader, uTorrent, and Trillian are the staples I can think of off hand.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Be careful with VLC. They discovered more security exposures with it that have not yet been fixed. It is mostly with streaming data like subtitles, etc.

Posted 6 years ago

HASH
HASH

VLC is great it also has a repair tool, but i my default is Cyberlink Powerdvd which came preinstalled with my laptop.

Posted 6 years ago

pipo
pipo

i think VLC is a good s/w too, although i still prefer windows media player over it for it's features and because the FN shortcut keys (Play/Pause, Stop, Next, Previous) on my laptop doesn't work on VLC. i use VLC when the codecs on media player can't play the media.

Posted 6 years ago

HASH
HASH

same, but i have K-Lite Pro codec pack installed, and i havent had any chance to use vlc, if media player did not support a codec :)

@pipo, wat laptop have you got?

ps. YAY 4 PAGES and 68 posts ! SO LONG

Posted 6 years ago

pipo
pipo

i have an Acer Aspire (Gemstone series) AS4520G, why'd u ask?

Posted 6 years ago

HASH
HASH

Just wondering, coz i thought you probably had a Dell, as they have the quick play buttons too, for me, i got a Benq S32w joybook, and i have to do Fn+1 -> 0 for quickplay, email access, doucments,etc.

Posted 6 years ago

pipo
pipo

i think most new laptop models now come with quick play buttons (so that's what they're called, lol).

Posted 6 years ago

HASH
HASH

yeah, the new dell series Inspiron have it nice Quick Play buttons on the front side of the laptop, with lights coming out, its pretty sick. I like the new XPS series too, my friend has one, 12.2" 1.8ghz, 2 gig ram, 80 gig.

Top music mp3 player / program/ software: top 5 list

1. Itunes (i use it to sync everything onto my ipod, i download podcasts including Vodcars, The Chasers War, and Happy Tree Friends, It basically has my whole music library)
2. Media Player 11 (i use it to play .avi, and movie files when itunes cant)
3. Cyberlink PowerDvd (watch movies)
4. VLC ( if none of the above works)
5. WinAMP (havent got installed but 2nd after Media pLayer i guess)

Write down ur top5 media players!

Posted 6 years ago

pipo
pipo

top music/media players:

1. Media Player 11 (for music and movies)
2. VLC (when all else fails for Media Player and where i play flv files)
3. DivX Player for Symbian Phones (it's an application for my nokia n71 phone where i can play .avi files, the divx installer has a converter for the .avi files to make the screen size smaller hence making the file 20%-30% smaller)

Posted 6 years ago

WizardSal
WizardSal

HACKED 100%

Posted 6 years ago

HASH
HASH

cool, top 5 not 3

Posted 6 years ago

pipo
pipo

well, aside from those, i don't think i use anything else. ^_^

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

@pipo, with VLC, you have some control with the keyboard (eg Space bar = pause, S = stop, F = fullscreen, alt+arrow = back/forward)

Posted 6 years ago

pipo
pipo

@Lighthouse
is that post for whs or for me?

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Sorry about that pipo (I just woke up)
Heres the full list
http://www.keyxl.com/aaa448e/2.....rtcuts.htm

Posted 6 years ago

pipo
pipo

haha, thanks. ^_^
i just got home.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.