How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

top 20 software

(121 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by HASH
  • Latest reply from xenomex
  • Topic Viewed 11039 times

HASH
HASH

pipo, wats Katmouse and pspad? mite be useful to me.

Posted 6 years ago

pipo
pipo

katmouse is a utility that enhances the scroll functionality for your mouse, it lets you scroll windows even if they're on the background, i also got it here in HTG (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....-xp-vista/), the website is here http://ehiti.de/katmouse/

pspad is a text editor, i use it when i'm coding in COBOL (or when i'm already getting dizzy from trying to understand a long program in mainframe) coz it recognizes COBOL reserved words (i just can't compile it, i still need mainframe). it's also good for other languages (but i still prefer dreamweaver for HTMLing). ^_^

Posted 6 years ago

Roberto1

For browsing through photo collections I would not like to be without Piclens (for Firefox)

Posted 6 years ago

jonhill987
jonhill987

If anyone is after a Vista icon editor http://icofx.ro/ is free and seems to do everything you would want.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

@hash um vnc is so i can get remote access to my other pcs and so i can help out friends fix their pc's. and my antivirus i got for free from my work. and firewall is not free but have it for free (not saying how it became aquired on here though)

-Jack7h3R1pp3r

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

jack7h3r1pp3r, have you tried Crossloop?

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

nope i'm just used to vnc since most linux distros use it

Posted 6 years ago

HASH
HASH

@jonhill987
brilliant JUST WAT I nEEDED! :) thanks so much

@jack and @pipo
thanks for taking your time to explain to me wat the programs are and what they do. I mite try vnc, is it free and where do i get it?

pipo, i really need to use katmouse since my usb mouse scroll is so crap.

THANK YOU EVERYONE!

Top 5 Browsers:
1.FireFOX (the one and only)
2. Internet Explorer (comes second, helps when needed most)
3. Netscape (for gaming sometimes like Kingdom Online)
4. Safari ( BY apple, UI looks smooth but there arent any great features or addons yet..)
5. AOL ( absolute crap no offense to any users, but my experiences with it, are not so great :| )

Write down ur top 5 browser tooo guyz :)

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

@hash yes vnc is free and it's http://www.realvnc.com

my browser list

1. firefox

2. opera

3. ie

haven't used any others

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

Another great freeware is AM Deadlink. Very useful for organizing and purging dead bookmarks from any browser for those with hundreds (thousands;) of links. I've been using it for years without a hitch. Just make sure you have a backup somewhere (as always).

http://www.aignes.com/deadlink.htm

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

ya don't really need it i don't really bookmark things but thx might need some day

Posted 6 years ago

windburst29

ok this is mine not really top 10 but i think its really good

1.Uniblue SpeedUpMyPC 3
2.Uniblue Registry Booster 2
3.Uniblue SpyEraser
4.BitDefender Total Security 2008
5.HijackThis by TrendMicro
6.FireFox

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

really like that uniblue stuff don't you

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Hey everybody, It's nice to see everybody post long lists of programs. What would be even more interesting is to know what you do with those and why you chose them - especially the less obvious ones (of course not Firefox or CCleaner or alike).

Posted 6 years ago

windburst29

yup that uniblue things really helped me clean my pc and it really works for me

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

Foxit as a slim replacement for Adobe Reader.

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php (free version explained near the bottom)

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

@windburst29 thats cool i've just never really seen those ones before i use tune-up but thats not really a free ware

and taking whs's advise

i use fl studio so that i can make some sweet beats to listen to

photoshop to edit photos

fireworks is mainly so i can make cool moving pictures

guitar pro to help make and learn new songs

tune-up to help tweek and optimized my pc

any questions on any of my others just ask

Posted 6 years ago

HASH
HASH

@scott
cool, i heard of it before, i just downloaded and it is alot greater than Adobe Reader. I hate the auto downloading updates for Adobe Reader, its a pain in the neck and thats main reason i am switching to FoxIt. FoxIT is great but the UI doesnt look as great as of Adobe. Wonder if there are any skins for it? THeres way more features, which is helpful for me, as i use it to view my school textbooks. TY SCOTT,

@jack7h3r1pp3r
THe vnc software is free, but not for vista, WHY VISTA :( lol thanks anyway.

@pipo
thanks for KAtmouse, and thanks Geek, for posting an article on how to use it as it was pretty compplicated. And your article helped me use it.

Top 5 LIst oF DOwnloaders/Torrent/P2p software:

1.Utorrent (simple, low pc usage, nice interface, easy to use program to download large torrents, especially missed tv episodes of Terminator that i miss)

2.Shareaza (comes in handy for music, and way better than limewire my opinion! :) )

3. Google --> the feature : intitle:"index.of"(mp3|Wmv) (If you do know and want to know how it works ask me and i will post it here)

4.Edonkey (program to search for torrents and download, i dont use it often these days as i am capped)

5. Bitlord ( torrent program - rarely used by me)

Post ur 5 downloaders below :)

ps. trying to keep this post alive, and see how long it can get! :)

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

i just use utorrent since you can get any thing on torrents anyway so you don't really need any thing else

Posted 6 years ago

HASH
HASH

hi five :)

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!