How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Toolbars or Application Launcher for WIN7

(12 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by whs
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 1176 times

whs
whs

I used to have this nice setup in Vista with my AppLauncher in the sidebar and my private toolbar (by pushing a folder into the very top of the screen). This all worked fine. None of that works in W7. Now I have a ton of shortcuts on the desktop (which I hate, and don't know where to put them - and don't tell me to put them into the W7 taskbar. That thing sucks.
Has anybody run across a Program/Folder launcher that works in W7? I would be much obliged.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@whs,
After experimenting with win7, I didn't like it either so removed the O/S off the machine.
---
Felt like I could never get (Behind) the Win7 O/S Fluff to do anything.
---
Maybe you will become use to it since you have been running Vista for quite sometime.
---
Best Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Well, my take is the W7 is a Vista release - but not for the better. They tried to attract the XP crowd and in the process they bastardized the elegant Vista. I usually have no problem getting used to new setups, but when they take handy functions away, that is a step backwards. I call it "Vista for morons". You should read the 100's of comments people made about their new WMM - this thing is a real disaster.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Yeah - when Win7 is released, might just give up the old computer hobby of +40 years and purchase an Iphone.
---
It's been fun and expensive but may be time to turn the page and find something else to do. (LOL)
---
Best Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

whs, you should try some of the popular 3rd party launchers, such as RocketDock. If they work in Vista, they might work in 7.

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

whs. Write your own :) A bit of scripting works wonders for the brain :)

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

LH, may I dlegate this task to you?

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

You can dlegate, as many tasks to me as you want :) LOL

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

ScottW, I remember long time ago I had tried Rocket Dock. I vaguely remember that there was some problem with it and I uninstalled it. But I will try it again. Thanks for the tip.

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

whs. Being serious, I think you could do it. There are very good tutorials on writing sidebar gadgets. I would investigate a bit.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

LH, I know I could. But that is not for tomorrow. Right now I have other hobbies. But thanks for the encouragement.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Just like to report that I installed "Rocket Dock" on W7 and it works very well.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!