The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

todo or nottodo?Upgrade Compaq nx9010

(4 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Pamy
  • Latest reply from Pamy
  • Topic Viewed 1509 times

Pamy

Ive been given a Compaq nx9010 notebook XP Pro OS w/service pk 2 and 256 memory. Is this worth adding memory to? As it is my Trend pccillin antivirus wont run on it, not enough memory

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

You probably can upgrade for less than $40 if you look at Crucial. Lookup the exact memory model with the crucial website. I think your maximum is 1GB.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Pamy,

Welcome to The HTG Forums.
Appears the machine will support up to (1) Gig of memory.
(IF) everything else is working OK on the machine, suggest you take it up to max memory.
One must (Evaluate) the (IF) in the above statement as the Laptop is a bit "Long in the Tooth".

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/prod.....l#Overview

Kindest Regards,
Rick P.♦ :)

Posted 5 years ago

Pamy

thanks so much for the input. I was able to get McAffee on the C nx9010 notebook free from my cable company and it runs ok after it finally boots. That takes sooooo long. I configured McAfee not to run scan at startup and unchecked it in the msconfig startup list but it still takes a very long time to start up. Any suggestions? I found that this notebook has 196 RAM. Is this slow starting because I need more memory? It is stuck on selective start up and I cant get it to change to normal start up so the start up configure utility keeps running and that window is coming up when I start the computer telling me to switch to normal start up so I wont see it anymore. So when I try to change it, it sends me an access deny error has been sent-make changes as administrator message. The admin login account is the one that is on, the guest account is off. Im very confused and appreciate so much any help you can give
Pamy

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!