The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

TO KEEP OR NOT KEEP JAVA

(6 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by mjweyn47
  • Latest reply from StringJunky
  • Topic Viewed 404 times

mjweyn47

I PLAY ONLINE GAMES MOST OF THE TIME AND HAVE A NEW COMPUTER AND NOW I AM GETTING SLOW GAMES AND BLUE SQUARES SHOWING UP ON THE GAMES.
I AM AFRAID OF THE JAVA AFTER READING ALL THE INFORMATION OUT ON IT. I TURNED JAVA OFF AND THAT IS WHEN MOST OF THE PROBLEMS SEEM TO HAVE
STARTED. I HAVE TURNED IT BACK ON AND THERE IS NO CHANGE. SHOULD I DELETE JAVA AND THEN REINSTALL IT, AND IS IT SAFE ENOUGH TO RUN WITH THE
ONLINE GAMES. HOPE THIS IS CLEAR.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

If you play online games and the online games require Java then you must have it installed. It is as simple as that. It will be just as safe or dangerous with onli8ne games as with anything else. My personal feeling is that online games are more dangerous that normal browsing. You need to be real sure who is promoting the game.

Note: Please do not type in all caps. It denotes shouting and is offensive to some.

Posted 1 year ago

Dcw329

java is inherently become a dangerous platform for hackers because of its wide spread application. every week is a new zero-day exploit. if you dont need java, uninstall it. if you need it for a game like minecraft, turn it off in the browser. as long as you dont have it on in your browser, you should be safe from the majority of exploits being used.

http://www.infoworld.com/t/web.....ers-210882

i didnt read that particular link, but it is just one of many. find out how to disable it in YOUR browser and then you should be fine.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

But, but, but... How do you play "online games" without being online or with a browser?

Posted 1 year ago

Dcw329

you create exceptions for the sites you trust. by default you should block all requests. if you have the default settings, code can be ran on your computer from any site just by visiting it. just be careful who you trust. use common sense. (smart alec... lol. i guess its a genuine question though Xhi). but you cant just have java installed on your computer and "roam" the internet. you dont even have to click "activate" on sites. just visiting a malicious site could cause you to be infected. so have it set by default to not allow.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky

Dcw329

I use Click To Play in Chrome...this disables Flash and Java by default but a click on the plugin icon in the address bar can enable them on a per-site basis either once-only or all the time.

Tony

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.