SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

To boot or not to boot is the question :)

(10 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by jmeeks49
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 442 times

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

Ok, i went to my bios thinking that since this is a fairly new system that i should be able to boot from a usb device right? but in dell wisdom (or the lack of) the boot order in the bios does not have a bootable usb device listed and yes, i have updated bios flashed it and everything. Anyway, i suppose there is no way to emulate a ramdisk? i was going to get a flash drive and set win7 on it to boot but i couldn't boot from if i wanted to. any ideas?

John

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

Maybe try creating a simple bootable USB, with an Ubuntu Live CD ISO image for instance (a 1 GB USB drive will be enough), connect it to your Dell, and during the Dell logo screen press F12 to access the one-time boot menu, and check if it shows there and if it boots. I think it will only show up in the one-time boot menu while the bootable USB is connected.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

John

The RAM disk software I used boots with Windows. It saves your program on hard disk and loads it to RAM at startup. In the free version of Data Ram it will allow you to make up to a 4GB partition in your RAM. I realise the free version is too small to load Windows on it but it will allow you to play with it and understand it.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ramdisk/

Tony

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

John, one of our Dell's (XPS 8500, now the 9000 series I think?) 'appeared' to have the same thing, no USB... however when I was playing with it when it came with W7 and I wanted to put an SSD in, I was messing with the BIOS I noticed it WAS there... and I think the reason is :

You must have a USB device attached when you open the BIOS or else it is NOT shown as an option.

However, I could be wrong and have a fuzzy memory?

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Fuzzy logic even!

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Hi John, what do you want to do when you say 'boot' - do you want to put an .iso on the flash drive and install from it or do you want to operate the OS from a flash drive.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Mike, you had to make me look, didn't you <VBG>?

OK, I was at least PARTIALLY wrong, is that fuzzy memory or senior moment????

I test my Dell XPS 435T, forerunner to my wife's XPS 8500. On a normal entry to the BIOS, the hard disk selection only showed my physically attached drives. Re-booted with a USB flashdrive in, and went into the BIOS again. There was the USB drive last on the list.

So I guess I was correct, just on possibly the wrong computer, or my answer is correct? John can tell us that I guess if his Dell is like mine?

Posted 1 year ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

@irv,

i don't know yet i am getting a flash drive sometime this week to see if it will recognize it.

@whs,

your right, the whole reasoning is to boot to a different OS i know about vmplayer and i use it just like you do but my geeky side is coming out more just like to try new stuff.

@tony,

i was going to try Ramdisk but if the free version is limited to 4 gigs what's the point? except for Linux most windows based OS'S min is 4 gigs and that would be slow for me. i have 18 gigs on this machine so it wouldn't benefit me at all.

John

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

John, I thought you might put a program in there and get a feel for it before you go the whole hog with an OS.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

John, here is a tutorial I once wrote on how to boot Windows 8. I guess you could do the same with Windows 7, but you would need a seperate product key.

http://www.eightforums.com/tut.....-disk.html

I personally think that the VMware Player approach is the easiest and most flexible. Especially if you uae an external SSD. I bought a 60GB SSD for $59.95 whilst my fast 32GB USB3 stick cost $65. So the SSD was about the same if you throw in the caddy. Here is that tutorial. I made it with Zorin, but it is the same with any other OS - just make whatever selection during the installation. I am running Mint, Ubuntu and Windows 8 the same way. Performance is much better than with the above solution.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tut.....drive.html

And if you want to be really fancy, run the VMware Player system in a RAMDisk. That is the ultimate. But you would need a lot of RAM - 16GB for Linux and 24GB for Windows 7/8 at least.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.