The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Tiny laptops??

(20 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by TheTalentedMissWendy
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 1273 times

TheTalentedMissWendy

I am looking for a way to do my Uni writing while I am on my lunch at work. My office allows no internet access and bars all mobile phones as well. My laptop is just too heavy to bring in with me, so I am looking to get a tiny version. Can I get a little keyboard to plug into my PSP? (I really want a little WERTY keyboard to write on).

Anyone got any sugestions? I don't need it to have any WP capabilities, just a removable mem stick to keep the text in. In Japan, I had a PDA phone with an attachable keyboard with a tiny 15cm X 2cm screen. The keyboard was too little for my fingers, and I still had to type with my thumbs.
It was only via my phones Email address, and had only about a one page memory (and ate batteries like it was starving).

I have spotted a few teeny weeny keyboards advertised on Ebay, but I have no idea what they would plug into.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, Wendy

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

How tiny do you want? Asus do a very small laptop. Or maybe you want a PDA (but with them it is thumb typing)

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

Something like this?

http://www.pcworld.com/product.....icing.html

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

Hey Scott, that is an Asus!

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

and to TheTalentedMissWendy. what is a WERTY keyboard :)

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

Yes Lighthouse, you were quicker...this time.

There's a PCWorld review of all the mini laptops somewhere.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

Scott. is this a competition? You know more than me. Check your emails

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

Is this a spelling competition? ;)

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

I don't understand (I'm not a witch)

Posted 6 years ago

whs

@Lighthouse, QWERTY is an american (amongst others) keyboard. I have a QWERTZ which is German with the extra letters germans have. Maybe you have a french one, but I do not know how they are called.

@ Wendy, I second the suggestion of the above. The Eee by Asus seems to be quite nice - at least that's what the computer press says. And it is only $300 (300 Euros in Europe - they think Europeans are rich). In Europe it comes out these days. In the US it is available.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

@whs French ones are called AZERTY.
TheTalentedMissWendy clearly says WERTY. sorry my dear I am being pedantic

Posted 6 years ago

whs

You really are. She probably has a wireless keyboard. They sometimes miss letters - like mine.

Posted 6 years ago

taybay

This may not even be what you're looking for and is probably out of the question, but I had to post this for people to ogle at. It always impresses me every time I see it. http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/8193/

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

Sweet stuff, taybay.

Posted 6 years ago

chris

If you want a laptop that is very thin yet very powerful, i consider you think about getting a mac laptop. There's a new apple laptop that is about less than a centimeter thick screen. And everyone now knows that mac is advacing WAY faster than any other companies so their computers are getting so much more powerful. Also it's security system is much MUCH more stronger than XP since it's an entirely new feature. That's the reason why mac yet don't have many viruses, since hackers are having quite a lot of troubles getting the viruse in. You should go more for mac laptops since it's very light(that's what you want) small and powerful. chris

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Here is the webpage for the Asus Eee

http://eeepc.asus.com/us/product.htm

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

Hows about this?
http://beta.ivancover.com/wiki.....l_Upgrades

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Lighthouse, Could not get this webpage to show up. On none of my browsers.

Posted 6 years ago

InDiSent

MAC, schmack......i would go with the asus. But wait, if your company doesn't even allow cellphones why would they allow a laptop?

Posted 6 years ago

whs

InDiSent, looks to me like Miss Wendy can use a device as long as it is not "connected" to the outside. I like places that bar cell phones. I am with you, the Asus is a hot deal. Seems, they cannot keep up with demand.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.