How-To Geek Forums / Off Topic

Time out on the "All Forums" page

(33 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by whs
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 1799 times

raphoenix

@The Geek,

Yes, IE 6.4 is ancient but does have some advantages.

Think it is a connection issue due to the logs and how quickly the multiple requests are resent when no acks are received.

The screen flashing is just a (symptom) of a communications issue.

What browser one uses will make no difference.
Kindest Regards,
Rick P. ♥ :)

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

I just noticed you said "TCP/IP security problem" shows up in the logs. What logs?

Also, what Firewall / Anti-Everything software are you using?

Posted 6 years ago

whs

There is definitely something wrong with the HTG Forum page and the IE. It just hit me again and I could not even get on the Forum whilst at the same time I could get on any other website with the IE. I could also get on the Forum with Opera. From that I conclude that my connection works (plus my wife was on the same router working well at the same time) and I can get to HTG (with Opera). It is just the combination HTG and IE7 that cops out at times - not very often though. Any ideas?

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

I'm curious if there's something going on, an interaction with a plugin or security software. I use IE all the time for accessing the forum, but I've never had an issue. Then again, I have a 20mb connection and I live about 10 minutes away from the data center where the HTG server is located, so that probably makes some difference too.

The fact that it works in Opera but not in IE is what puzzles me.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

I have no IE plug-ins. I like it plain vanilla. And I did not ever have this problem until very recently. The fact that it occurs so randomly (and relatively rarely) makes it difficult to trace the causes. It's not a big deal. Just a little bit ennoying given the amount of time I spend on the Forum.

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

I understand, which is why I'd like to fix the problem.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

You need not make this a high priority. I'll work off Opera for the time being.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

@The Geek,
Reference Your Question:
Event System Logs.
They show if a TCP/IP connection faults due to too many connection attempts and / or loss of server.
As most members know, I run a Lean, Clean, Fast Machine plus network with (NO) Fire Wall and (NO) real time AV or Spyware programs running in the background.
All routing and network addresses are hard coded so router doesn't waste time.
Router has custom Firmware per How-To.
On a good day, I get around 5.5 Meg bandwidth connection speed.
XP Machine is heavy on tweaks plus uses a little O/C plus Over-Voltage on components.
18 SEC Boot time with RAID and (6) HD spin-up.
Run (nightly) maintenance check for Viruses, Spyware plus Defrag machine and Compact registry before shutdown.
Back-up is GHOST Clean Partition Compressed Files which takes (10) minutes to reload if disaster hits.
(3) E-mail addresses interrogated every (3) minutes.
(3) sometimes (4) machines on network at one time but mostly (2).
As Jack says, this old ASUS machine and network are "Cranked" for Pure Speed.
See - Show Your Screens Topic.
Kindest Regards,

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

Do you have network pipelining modified so the browser does more than 2 requests at a time?

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

@The Geek,

NO; I'm only hitting the site with one request at a time.
Some spoke about IE. IE 7 which others are using doesn't support pipelining I don't think???
What is strange is that the issue occurs at just certain almost random times.
Tonight NO problem.
Around 5:00 PM CST this afternoon, the issue started occurring for about a half hour.
This morning around 9:00 AM CST through around 11:00 AM CST, it was real bad.
Some days, it never occurs.
******** It occurs only on some Topics at random - SEE CURRENT TOPIC - UPGRADING RAM IN 5 YEAR OLD COMPUTER. Causing Flashing EVERYTIME, ALL THE TIME !!!!!!
The other night when I coded in a huge picture coming off one of my website stores, it brought the topic to its knees.
Today I coded in the same picture during the testing and everything worked fine on the topic.
It is a strange situation indeed because others seemed to have experienced it.
=======================
Another strange thing about HTG.
If I type fast in the input boxes, all kinds of key stroke shortcut items will pop up.
I can fix that by by keyboard speed delay but it is strange this (only) occurs on HTG.
I have (NO) idea why the HTG site would effect my keyboard ???? (LOL) (LOL)
Too strange to post. (LOL) (LOL)
=======================
Kindest Regards,

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

When you say it flashes... the whole page flashes? That's just so strange, and I can't figure out how to duplicate it. Same thing with the key stroke items... what do you mean by that?

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

@The Geek,

By flashing, I mean a partial page load attempt, then white blank screen and then another partial page load attempt in very rapid succession like camera flash bulbs going off in quick succession. The screen will continue to do this if not manually interrupted by clicking on another site or closing the HTG site. It happens as fast as a 8 MS 22" LCD screen can handle. *****Also remember I said it may occur only when clicking on Some Topics ???
My wife will notice the flashing and ask; "are you on that screwy website again ??" (LOL)(LOL)
=======================================================
Happens on NO other websites I have ever been on or went to.

As for the keystroke issue, that is too weird to even talk about. (LOL)(LOL)
I would say it was impossible if I didn't experience it daily in posting replies.
Happens on NO other sites I have ever been on or went to either.
Hope my discription gives you a better idea.
By the way I CAN LIVE WITH THE ISSUES as I Enjoy the Site So Much !!!
Kindest Regards,

Posted 6 years ago

whs

That reminds me that sometimes a thread refuses to be displayed (in IE). I get the "webpage cannot be found" but then after 2 or 3 attemps it decides to display it after all. That happens very rarely, but I thought I post that as additional input. Btw, today I lost the main Forum page only once. It was a good day.
The usage of Opera also has it's flaws. It does not refresh the pages so that a visited thread will stay blue on the main Forum unless one pushes the refresh button each time. That is kind of ennoying. I have already submitted a program trouble report to Opera 3 months ago (and so have others as far as I know), but they have not fixed it yet. Maybe I have to dig out old FF after all - lol.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.