The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - time for 64-bit

(10 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by mickeyblue
  • Latest reply from ProstheticHead
  • Topic Viewed 745 times

mickeyblue

hey all, im fed up with 32-bit Win7, now im taking the plunge and im gonna format and clean install 64-bit, anyone got any tips for me.........
current programs i use......
bitcomet, SAS, MSE, Cool edit pro 2.1, Ashampoo win optimizer6, google chrome, lavalys everest corporate edition,

question is, what is 32-bit mode? is it like compatibility mode? in other words if i install a 32-bit program, can i use it in the 32-bit mode? what exactly is it, im new to 64-bit so some pointers will be greatly appreciated.

alternatively i could use Sunbox and have Win7 32-bit in virtual OS, what is best?

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

THIS LINK will probably answer most of your questions...

I'll answer some here too,

"what is 32-bit mode? is it like compatibility mode? in other words if i install a 32-bit program, can i use it in the 32-bit mode? what exactly is it"

Well, 32 bit programs do run in the 64 bit version. They load in 'emulation' and this can possibly slow down the app, but it may not be apparent to you, see .

The biggest headache you might find is getting 64 bit device drivers, especially for OLDER h/w, like scanners and printers. 32 bit device drivers will not work. Some programs as well might now work or have full function as they use 32 bit built in drivers for h/w access. Many will have comparable 64 bit versions, like most un-installers, disk managers, and partitioning s/w for instance.

Irv S.

MORE ON THIS HERE

Posted 4 years ago

whs

Nearly all of the problems people seem to have with Win7 are with the 64bit version. I would think twice before I used it. And unless you have more than 4GB of RAM, it does not really buy you anything. The 32bit Win7 works like on rails though.

Posted 4 years ago

at0mic

so far in 64 bit, i've been able to go to the developers website to update every program so far. i might be one of the lucky ones who hasn't had one problem with anything. in 32 bit i constantly had blue screens from my nvidia graphics card even with the updated driver.
seeing how you haven't reinstalled windows 7 enough times to have to call in the activation code, i'd give it a try. if it doesn't work out switch back.

Posted 4 years ago

InDiSent

I have absolutely no issues with 64bit. All of my 32bit programs run just peachy, no slow downs or anything. Firefox is 32bit and so is Office 2007, pidgin and almost all of the apps i use. There's really nothing to fear. Just go about it like a regular install and don't let the x64 scare you. Any app that will run in windows 7 be is 32 or 64 bit will run fine.

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue

thanks for the info, im going to give it a try. do you know if games play in 64-bit as well as they do in 32-bit, eg. borderlands, NFS-SHift, COD6.
does SAS work in 64-bit? ill use MSE for 64-bit as im happy with the 32-bit version. other than that ill give it a try, what the heck.

Posted 4 years ago

InDiSent

I have no idea about games. I don't play any. I'm guessing they should work fine, but I'll leave that up to a gamer to answer.

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue

i am a gamer ha ha, was just wondering if anyone tried out games in 64-bit, from what i hear its not such a good idea, quite a few bugs in 64-bit.
but what the hey, ill give it a bash in the next couple weeks.

Posted 4 years ago

Kodess

No problems playing COD6 or Borderlands with 64-bit....as it should.

Posted 4 years ago

ProstheticHead

Mickey Blue, I've had some trouble playing games on Vista Ultimate 64... One of my RAID 0'd SAS HDDs has just started to fail though, so that might be why.

I can't imagine installing more than 3-4 Gb of RAM is going to benefit many games, unless you multitask a lot. Only reason I have 6Gb on my system is for tri channel operation. When I get round to it (& when I've decide if I'm gonna install to my remaining SAS HDD or go with a SATA drive) I'll probably go with 32bit. I just want to play my games, not spend half my time fixing things!

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.