The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Thumbnails issue

(8 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by PP3TNC
  • Latest reply from Fhirkin9
  • Topic Viewed 353 times

PP3TNC

i can't see some Thumbnails in some files after having uninstalled win7codec, how to restore it(thumbnails)

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9

Could some file associations have been lost? What file types are missing thumbnails? To associate a file type to a program use Orb > Default programs

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

And delete the cache,
http://www.winhelponline.com/b.....s-7-vista/

Posted 1 year ago

PP3TNC

i had tried delete the cache, but it doesn't work.

i solve it from reinstall the codec again, i still want to know are there any means to solve it in my situation

missing thumbnails is media file, like WMV etc.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

The day you installed the Codec pack you messed up your system. The pack took over your system. With Windows7 that was really not required. If you really want to fix it, you have to reinstall the system or reset to a restore point or image from before you touched that codec pack.

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9

I definitely avoid installing individual codecs for this very reason, the way we were forced to look for and install codecs back in Windows 95/98/XP days. I would rather install a player that had the codecs natively, or update a player I already had. VLC media player seems to have many of the codecs. If I end up getting a file that asks for a codec I don't have, I will just delete that media file. It is not worth the risk.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

Fhirkin9, The other option you have with a file that has an odd filetype is to convert it. Format Factory is a pretty good program for that: http://www.pcfreetime.com/

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9

I will save the link, thank you!

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.