The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

"This system does not support fullscreen mode" when trying to play video game

(14 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by catfishindylan
  • Latest reply from vistamike
  • Topic Viewed 79151 times

catfishindylan

We just got a new computer for our monitor and its a windows vista.Ever since we got it ive been trying to get the pc game "Blood" to play, but i gave up because i keep receiving the same error "This system does not support full-screen mode, choose close to terminate the program".Blood is an old game but the only video game i will play on the computer & in the house and i hope to get it to play again.Ive been looking on line trying to find out the problem and how to fix it,and did try to post for the topic on the same error before but,that one had ended.I just found this site as my best bet and hope to get some awsnsers on the problem,Thanks,

Dylan

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

And you've tried compatibility mode and 640x480 mode?
Keep in mind some older games will run in Vista but not in full screen mode.

Posted 6 years ago

catfishindylan

no we havent tried compatibility mode and 640x480 mode, and what is that??and how do i find that?

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

Right click on the icon, select 'Compatibility', tick Run this program in compatibility mode for...and start with XP. If that doesn't work, move down the line. Or conversely, you can just tick 'Run in 640x480 screen resolution to see it that at least gets the game to run.

Posted 6 years ago

catfishindylan

what icon??the games icon?and were can i change the screen resolution to 640x480??

Posted 6 years ago

catfishindylan

ok i found the Compatibility mode,what do i do now on the mode and settings??

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

Posted 6 years ago

catfishindylan

do i press Apply then ok??thanks

Posted 6 years ago

catfishindylan

it did not work for Windows XP, which other would work better??

Posted 6 years ago

Dcw329

it will work best with what ever system the game was made for. i havent heard of the game blood, so i dont know what it runs on. was i made for xp? or is it a really old game made for windows 95?

if it doesnt work, try running as administrator. you do that by right clicking and clicking the button "run as administrator"

Posted 6 years ago

James3

Hi geek just got xcom ufo defense, terror from the deep, and apocalypse and can't play them. Xcom ufo defense installs but i can only hear the sound screen stays black, terror from the deep nothing at all not even sound and apocalypse tells me does not support full screen mode. Tried the compatibility mode with all versions and resolution settings but still not working can u help me? Thanks James

Posted 6 years ago

Kiyorni

Hey I came across this website to bypass the error message...haven't tried it yet..??? but it sounds like it'll work... I'm still trying to build up the courage to try it (it has warnings..)...I don't know how to fix computers, so thats the only reason I'm afraid...

If you guys try it let me know...please???

Vista Game full screen mode bypass

Posted 5 years ago

vikjoo

Hi, I had the same problem too with message" This system does not support fullscreen mode" while running an old dos game The fate
of Atlantis. The resolution i found is to :

0. download a program called dos box. [ use this link to download Dosbox app: http://www.dosbox.com ]
1. Install DosBox.
2. Run the DosBox program
3. Mount the drive and directory where the games executables are found(There is a help in the application on how to do this)
ex. mount c c:\Atlantis\
4. Type c: ( c is the drive you have mounted in 3 above)
5. Type the executable file name.
ex. Atlantis.exe
Here you go, it worked fine for me.
Make sure you set your display settings to the lowest possible pixel settings (I used 800 x 600 pixel)
Enjoy and ask if you need any help!
Cheers.

[DOSBox running
on a high-end machine will roughly be the equivalent of a 486 PC.
DOSBox can be configured to run a wide range of DOS games, from
CGA/Tandy/PCjr classics up to games from the Quake era.]
Link for downloading Dosbox

Posted 3 years ago

vistamike

vikjoo, hi, this topic is a year old and is now closed

Mike

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.