The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

ThinkPad RRbackups and disk space

(5 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by jeremydup
  • Latest reply from limdul1979
  • Topic Viewed 28394 times

jeremydup

My T61 thinkpad with 140GB disk seemed to get used iup very quickly and I couldn't work out why. Well I have finally worked it out and this info may be of use to others.

The thinkpad creates a folder called RRbackups which is hidden. Every week it automatically makes a backup of the drive in this folder !! So you can imagine how big it gets. Mine was 50GB !!

If you run the ThinkPad Rescue and Recovery program you can 1) clear out the folder (you can't do it in windows explorer) and 2) stop the damn thing from backing up any further.

Hope that helps

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

That is very interesting. I did not know that. Why would the T61 do that. Do they backup in lieu of the Vista restore points or do you have those on top of it? This sounds a little like an automatic Ghost or Acronis - but then what sense does it make if the backups are on the OS partition.

Posted 5 years ago

jeremydup

Its just doing a straight drive backup. Crazy really because if the drive crashes so does the backup.

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I think some of the Dell machines have that option. Agree, silly idea.

Posted 5 years ago

limdul1979

An jeremydup:
I just signed up here to say thank you for posting this little information. Even if it is three years ago, maybe you ll get a notification.
I have a fairly new Lenovo T410 and just 1 week ago 170GB of my harddrive space was gone. I googled and and posted and deleted and searched for hidden folders, made some diagnostics on my harddrive. nothing. And then finally i discorved this RRbackup hidden folder, googled it and found your post. Opened Lenovo toolbox and found the magic button. All 170Gb are back.
Thanks a lot, I was just about to delete my entire hard drive.
Daniel, with thanks from germany

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.