The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

(Solved) - Thinking of a gaming PC

(12 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by WyrmHero
  • Latest reply from WyrmHero
  • Topic Viewed 764 times

WyrmHero

Hey I'm new to building PCs and I want some suggestions from the experts. I researched a lot but still I have issues deciding what is the best CPU and video card for a gaming PC. Here's what I came up with:

http://secure.newegg.com/Shopp.....ubmit=view

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM+3 (AMD motherboard)

CPU: AMD FX-4170 Zambezi Quad-Core Processor 4.2 GHz

Video Card: GIGABYTE GV-R7850C Radeon HD 7850 1GB (I choose it because of high stream processors, no idea lol)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) (motherboard has 4 ram slots)

SSD: Samsung 830 Series 128 GB

Power Supply; Rosewill FORTRESS Series 650 W (+80 Platinum for eco-friendliness)

Case: Corsair Carbide Series 300R

Monitor: ASUS VS Series LCD-LED 1080p 23"

Disk Drive: LITE-ON Internal 12x Blu-Ray Combo

If I'm missing something please let me know. My budget is about $1000. Will this setup run most PC games (strategy games specifically) at max settings?

Posted 1 year ago

eorgeburns8

i can't see anything with the link

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

WyrmHero, your mother board is PCI Express 2.0 x16 and your video card is PCI Express 3.0 x16

Posted 1 year ago

WyrmHero

Can't find any AMD PCI Express 3.0 motherboard. :( Should I get an Intel motherboard instead (those are PCI Express 3.0), or look for a PCI Express 2.0 video card?

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

I don't know enough to comment on the other components but I feel you should rethink the PSU. The PSU you linked gets poor reviews. For $30 less, you can get the Corsair TX650. It essentially is the same as the Rosewill but gets better reviews. Warranty is only five years versus the seven years of the Rosewill but you are less likely to have problems with the Corsair.

For only $10 more than the Rosewill, you can get the Corsair HX650. Besides a seven year warranty, the HX650 is semi-modular. Only the 24 pin and CPU power cables are permanently attached to the PSU; the other cables are plugged in as needed, reducing clutter and, possibly, improving air flow.

If your budget, can stand it, the Corsair HX750 is only $35 more and gets even better reviews than the TX650 and HX650. The larger size allows room for future expansion and allows the PSU to run cooler, which both prolongs the life of the PSU and allows the fan to run slower, reducing noise.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

May be this will help to organize your thinking about a Build. :)

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

WyrmHero

That looks amazing thank you!

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

You could go with raphoenix post or here's a video card you can check out http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6814130604

Posted 1 year ago

WyrmHero

Yeah that one seems very powerful for an AMD motherboard. I researched and read that more than 1GB for a video card isn't needed for video games. Still it's a shame because I wanted to try an AMD video card.

@Lady Thanks for the suggestions for the PSU, definitely didn't look at the reviews first. :/ It's too bad cause I wanted a highly efficient PSU (hence platinum rating).

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

WyrmHero, the difference is the amount of vram the card have to save the textures it uses,
too little vram and you will get FPS drops and perhaps game freezes (just for a half a sec or so) when the graphic card is loading different textures from the harddrive.

currently if you have a 1080p screen you want more than 1GB, 1.5GB or 2GB is what you would like then
under 1080p for example 720p or such then 1GB is enough.

For example battlefield 3 in 1080p on ultra uses about 1.5GB vram.
The performance do not change, its still the same card however the difference is the vram (how many textures it can have loaded in to its memory at any given time)

so under 1080p resolution 1GB is fine, 1080p or higher then 1.5GB or 2GB would be helpful

ofc that depends on the card too, a card will not be faster because it have more vram, like a 6950 1GB vs a 6950 2GB will still performance the same in lets say 720p resolution, but if we go up to 1080p and a game that uses a lot of vram (over 1GB) then the 2GB card will run better.
most modern graphic cards have 1.5GB or 2GB vram now as well its needed these days as 1080p (and higher resolutions) become more and more common.

Posted 1 year ago

WyrmHero

Thanks for the info I'll check the 2 GB cards then. :)

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.