How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - thinking about upgrading to windows 7

(14 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by cmb
  • Latest reply from cmb
  • Topic Viewed 844 times

cmb

Hi All

i am thinking about upgrading to windows 7 but have been told there is no windows photo gallery included,
can it be downloaded for windows 7? most of my photos are tagged, it took weeks to tag them so i can find 1 quick
and i want to still be able to find them in photo gallery when using windows 7

Thanks
Carolyn

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

hi cmb, Your right it's not in Win7. I clicked on the help & support and here is the reply.

What happened to Windows Photo Gallery?

Windows Photo Gallery isn’t included in this version of Windows. To view and organize your digital pictures, you will need another photo program from Microsoft or another company.

For more information about programs you can use, go to the Windows website.

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

I don't know if it works for Windows Photogalery, but for Windows Mail the same has happened and it is possible to copy the Windows Mail folder to 7 and then it works. I don't have 7 installed at the moment, otherwise I would give it a try for you.

Cheers,
Sarah.

Edit: I copied the folder Windows Photo Galery to an USB an ran the program from there and it worked like a charm. So this just might work :)

Second edit: whatever you do, make sure you make an image of your current installation, so you can always get back to where you were when things were good.
Macrium Reflect
is a pretty new and free program that works really good.

Posted 4 years ago

Tom

After I upgraded to Win 7 I got an optional windows update for Windows Photo Gallery.

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Tom, I take it that is Windows LIVE Photo Gallery - which is definitely NOT the same as the Windows Photo Gallery that is present in Vista!

Posted 4 years ago

Tom

OK, My mistake. I thought it was the same thing.

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

@ Tom, MS acts as if it is the same, so no wonder people fall for it.
I haven't worked with it, so I'm curious to know how you like it and if the tag option is still available :)

@ cmb - if you might consider Windows Live Photogallery, you'll have to decide for yourself if you like your pictures to be 'up in the cloud', because that is what these 'Live' apps do - they store things on MS servers - and I personally I'm not a fan of that.

Posted 4 years ago

cmb

thanks for all the help. i think i will try Sarah's way and see how it works as i dont like the idea of my photos
being " up in the clouds lol

i will let you know how i get on next week

thanks again
carolyn

Posted 4 years ago

Tom

Sarah, I tried the tags but apparently you have to sign in to some site to use that function. And yeah now I remmember I didn't have to do that before.

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

OK, thanks for the input, Tom :)

And curious to hear how you fare, Carolyn :)

Posted 4 years ago

Tom

Sarah, I was doing something wrong when I was trying to tag. You can tag in Windows Live Photo Gallery.

Posted 4 years ago

cmb

Hi Again

i got my laptop back last night, i tried copying the folder Windows Photo Gallery to an USB and ran the program from there.
no luck, i then copied the folder on to my laptop and tried to run it from there, still no luck unfortunately.
i down loaded the Windows LIVE Photo Gallery and blocked internet access. that seems to have worked, i still have
all my tags on my photos and hopefully it wont find a way round the firewall to put my pictures 'up in the clouds' lol
i would have rather have had the old windows photo gallery but it seems i will have to live with the LIVE version

other than that so far im getting to grips with windows 7 very nicely

thanks
Carolyn

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Ok, thanks for letting us know :)
I didn't know it was possible to use it without the 'live' part - good to know that that is possible ;)

Posted 4 years ago

cmb

when you open pictures it says "in 2 locations". as far as i can tell it makes 2 folder for things. my pictures and public pictures,
my docs and public docs ect and everything in the public folder is shared. to make sure nothing was going
out "live" i deleted the public folders as well as blocking internet access.

carolyn

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!