Things I would like to see in the forum

(34 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by jd2066
  • Latest reply from Aleeve
  • Topic Viewed 3907 times

thegeek
The Geek

@mpc104

That idea is something I've been mulling over... I've been thinking of doing something like that, but making it optional, since a lot of people wouldn't want to fill it out.

Posted 6 years ago

mpc104
mpc104

i would fill it out.i think it would help you and us.

Posted 6 years ago

mpc104
mpc104

also you know about dell connect something like that would be good you or someone talked about that a while ago anyway i was just thinking out loud thanks for your time.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

I think MPC is right. The more info we have about the posters configuration, the easier it would be to approach his problem - which very often comes with a very cryptic description. And what could be so sensitive about some hardware/software specs?

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Not much is that sensitive about the hardware specs.
It's just the more information a site asks the less likely it is someone will register and post.
Someone could get impatient with filling out all the information and leave.
I'm sure there are some already who would rather not give out the information already required and post anonymously.
I know I don't really like to give out my email address for probably the same reason as this site requires an email and that reason is unwanted mail like spam.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Do we really need or want these people? Those are the same that give cryptic info on their post and never bother to give us feedback. I think we should be going for a "quality clientele"; or are we in the numbers game?

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

That is a good question. We certainly can't help people who don't give all the needed information and quality certainly should matter more over numbers.

As for an information box on computer information here is one idea:
Instead of simple boxes for information one computer there should a computer list as part of the profile that is linked to a post.
The interface for entering a new computer information or selecting an old one could be a the new topic page.

So the interface on the New Topic post would look like this:

Post Title: Can't do something
Post Message: Problem Description
Note: The following is optional but should be filled in for a faster response.
Post Computer Info:
Load Existing Computer Info: [ Computer A | Computer B | etc ]
Operating System:
Computer Make and Model:
Other:
[x] Save Computer Info as [ Computer X ]

The resulting post would look like:

Problem Description
User's Computer Configuration:
Operating System:
Computer Make and Model:
Other:

Posted 6 years ago

mpc104
mpc104

geek said if he did this it would be optional so if you dont want to give the the info dont.but in most cases you guys need to know i just dont see the problem.

Posted 6 years ago

mpc104
mpc104

jd i like that idea

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

I second mpc. That is a great idea. Maybe somewhere it should say." In order to give you a timely and accurate response, please provide this (additional) information".
Edit: Now I see you already had part of this included. Looks like we think the same way.

Posted 6 years ago

mpc104
mpc104

there you go. its fun watching you guys think.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Now all we have to do is sell it to the Geek.

Posted 6 years ago

mpc104
mpc104

he said he was thinking about the idea anyway maybe we gave him more to thing about.

Posted 6 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

I do think though that is would take too long to post and people would get annoyed.
Good idea in essence, but not very practical!

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!