Things I would like to see in the forum

(34 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by jd2066
  • Latest reply from Aleeve
  • Topic Viewed 3907 times

jd2066
jd2066

Here is a list of things I would like to see in this forum:
1. A "view Posts since last visit" page that does just that.
At the moment one has to use just the main forum page and it doesn't work so well as the bold stays for a few minutes after a post, posts already answered appear and there are no pages.
2. Unlimited edit time. Sometimes the hour edit time limit isn't enough. It would also allow people to add [solved] to the topic title when it is and that is helpful to see in some cases. A lot of fourms do this and add something like "edited 1 time, last when" to let people know if that has happened.
3. A less buggy HTML edit page. If not then adding bbCode would work too as I don't think that can be messed up.
At the moment every time you edit a post a "rel=nofollow" get added to all the links if not erased after a few edits the link can end up with many copies "rel=nofollow" for the link.
Also if you use the code markup and go to edit it again you end up with something odd in the edit box that has to be erased and new code markup added.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

1) I totally agree... if you only knew how screwed up the last visit code is. The functionality doesn't exist in bbpress so I used a crappy plugin for it. I need to actually write a decent plugin instead.

2) This seems like it would be simple to fix, I'll look at it.

3) You can use bbcode, actually. I wasn't aware of the rel=nofollow problem, I'll have to look at that and the other bug. It's supposed to only show rel=nofollow on display, not on edit.

I often regret using bbpress instead of something more solid like vbulletin or phpbb.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Ok.
Good to see bbCode is supported. Unfortunately, it has the same bug. When you click edit after using bbCode, it outputs as HTML in the editor.
Also it would be nice if the post time was a little more actuate.
Example: Two posts in a topic, one that is 1 hour and 5 minutes old and the other is 1 hour 9 minutes old, they both show up as an hour old in the thread. Or something like that, it's hard to tell what is correct when they are displayed wrong.

Posted 6 years ago

Appletom
Appletom

The Geek writes: "I often regret using bbpress instead of something more solid like vbulletin or phpbb."

I would love to see this forum in vBulletin. And I'm sure it would be fairly easy to convert, there are conversion engines for most forums to vB.

Advantages of vBulletin:
Looks better
Easier searches
Better categorizing
User friendly
Private messaging
Most people are already familiar with VB
Easier for webmaster to admin - especially with mods
Just looking through the list of users here, I think you would have your pick of good mods

Disadvantages of vBulletin:
$85 a year.

But this could be recouped, if needed, through advertising (yuck) or a small user fee. Just 25 users at $3.99 would cover it. I for one would gladly pay $4 and I'm sure you could quickly find another 24. Especially if you offer something goofy like a gold border around their avatar and the ability to use the word "Geek" in their user title.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

I disagree with Appletom. Most of his listed "advantages" are motherhood. Our Forum looks great, is easy to search, is user friendly, etc. Yes there are a few little things on the wishlist, but an overload of function does not always help. The motto is "Keep it simple"

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I second whs
But if you want to see a site this is a pain to work on
http://www.gadget-detective.moonfruit.com/
Although I do try and help out there when I can

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

I don't want to go the paid membership route...

We have two goals, the first one is to provide the friendliest help possible, but the second is to also have a fun place for geeks to hang out.

I'll followup with some more details on my plans.

Posted 6 years ago

taybay
taybay

In my opinon, phpBB beats vBulletin every time. I'm not trying to pick a fight, that's just what I prefer. =)

Posted 6 years ago

Smashpmk712
Smashpmk712

If I was to set up a small forum for my users on a local network where would I start? the only web lang. I know is HTML(yeah i know thats bad). I just want a simple help desk type situation with a searchable KB for the users.

Posted 6 years ago

Appletom
Appletom

The Geek writes:
"We have two goals, the first one is to provide the friendliest help possible, but the second is to also have a fun place for geeks to hang out."

Goal one - Nail. Head. HIT!
Goal two - I guess I would be in the wanna-be geek category, but this is a fun place. Thanks for letting me hang out.

@whs, Lighthouse and taybay - I defer to your level of expertise, I've just spent too much time on vB forums and I'm much more comfortable with vB's structure.

Posted 6 years ago

Santo
Santo

Please keep this site as simple as possible.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

@smash, Question: What do you mean by KB. Can you expand this for a poor European.
@Appletom, Stick around. You'll get used to "our ways". If there is something you don't find, you are invited to ask.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

We like a bit of fun, but are serious in our quest to help people

Posted 6 years ago

Appletom
Appletom

@whs - I'll bet smash meant DB instead of KB. And I plan on sticking around, I've learned a lot already, hope to be able to make small contributions.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

@whs: I would guess due to the help desk reference Smash meant Knowledge Base like the one at http://seagate.custhelp.com/cg.....td_alp.php.
Basicly a database of known answers to common questions.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Thanks jd, I first thought he was referring to a DB for the windows updates (that always start with KB) like here:
http://itsvista.com/topic/updates/

Posted 6 years ago

Smashpmk712
Smashpmk712

Wow... I go to lunch and don't check this and everybody gets confused! JD2066 was write I did me knowledge base. I am just looking for a simple way for my users to ask me questions and get quick answers. and also a way to track the tons of support calls I make .... possibly less if I can refer back to them. Also should I post a new topic for this?

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

@Smashpmk712: It would probably be better to start a new topic to avoid confusion in this topic as this topic is mainly about HTG forum ideas. I would recommend putting the new topic in the "Geek Stuff" forum or a Windows forum if you are asking Windows software.
In the new topic it would be good to list the following:
What kind of knowledge base you are looking for? Something simple just some articles or one with builtin search, categories, tags, etc.
What tech support you do? Depending on that the type you do it may affect what KB software you use.
What web server do you have to serve out pages if you want to use a web based KB? Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS), Apache, etc.

@whs: I could see how that would be confusing. I didn't really think about the KB prefix for updates before.
From what I can tell the updates are named like that to match the corresponding article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base.
Like update 937287 has an article at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937287 with more information on the update.
Oddly enough though it seems that article wasn't updated with the information on possible problems with the update.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Right jd, that bugger they are ducking. To send out updates without uninstallers is irresponsible by MS.

Posted 6 years ago

mpc104
mpc104

it would be nice if we could some how put our pc spects in our profile or somewhere the experts could see what pc they are working on a lot of people dont always say when they ask a question.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.