SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Thick gray streak across laptop screen, help.

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by jenpichette
  • Latest reply from G41M
  • Topic Viewed 686 times

jenpichette

I had spilt a little bit of liquid on my laptop. Thankfully everything still works. I do however have a white cloud and a thick gray streak overtop of it. The white cloud is obviously just water, and it is slowly drying out. The cloud is starting to have tiny tiny little dry spots forming everywhere. But Im worried about the thick gray line. its about the size of a thumb in width and extends about from the bottom left corner to about the center top of my laptop. Maybe 3 inches away from the top. A complete straight line, not bumpy or anything.

I plugged my laptop in to my TV, none of the clouds or the gray streak appears. So thankfully its not my graphics card, so says my research.

If it helps. the grey streak turns white when i bend my laptop forward.

Can anyone tell me what has to be fixed? (Dont tell me LCD screen please) Be specific. And what the approx. cost would be? Can this be fixed at home?

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk
afuhnk

Your monitor needs to be replaced.
Make and model of the laptop would help searching for a price, but if you want to be sure, disassemble it and look for the exact model of your LCD.
Alternatively, and this may be the easiest solution, call the tech support dept. of your laptop and ask them for the price.

Posted 1 year ago

jenpichette

monitor BrightView diagonal 15.6inch LED high definition 1366x768. Is my monitor name. Googled around cant find a price... Would a normal tech store tell me the price?

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk
afuhnk

Yes. But they might ask for the exact model #.

Posted 1 year ago

G41M

If you are up to it or you know someone knowledgeable, you can disassemble the lcd screen first and wipe dry the liquid remnants that might be causing the "cloud" and hopefully the "streak before considering replacing the lcd. The task is not as difficult if you have the guide and tools.

In the meantime, I would advice you NOT to power on the laptop until you are absolutely sure the liquid inside is completely dried out. The liquid might find their way into the more sensitive circuitry in the screen and caused more damage to the laptop.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!