The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Off Topic

The world's oldest still-working computer

(8 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by vistamike
  • Latest reply from vistamike
  • Topic Viewed 566 times

vistamike

clatters back into action after lying forgotten for 20 years.

The world’s oldest original working digital computer has been restored to full working order - after lying forgotten and gathering dust in storage for 20 years.

Once voted the world's most durable computer, it was found broken up into 50 parts and gathering dust in storage.

Harwell Dekatron (aka WITCH)

Mike

Posted 2 years ago

Ted16

It may not have worked well as a computer but it would have made a great heater with all those valves in it. Must have been interesting putting it back together again.

When I did stand by duty for British Relay wireless the transmission Klystrons certainly kept me warm in the evening.

Ted :)

Posted 2 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

Heater? More like oven! One thing I miss about the old electronics were the "valves" (we called them vaccum tubes, or just tubes, over on my side of the pond; I must admit valves was a more accurate term) and the red glow they emitted. Even neater were some of the rectifiers that had a blue (or was it purple; I'm color blind) glow.

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark

@ Mike,

Ever have or seen one of these in your travels : http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/ho.....644671.ece

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

Valves ? Try setting up a dead marine radio beacon, when all you have is a big box of unmarked valves. Great fun.....not.

Posted 2 years ago

XxChungxX

woww, i'm learning the history

thought the first computer looked more technical than that though

Posted 2 years ago

Ted16

XxChungXX If you want history this was the first so called computer.

http://www.computerhistory.org/babbage/

Ted

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.