SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

The Terrible Ask Toolbar has evil cohorts ...

(3 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Torwin
  • Latest reply from gedstar
  • Topic Viewed 405 times

Torwin

I have two related problems. First, Google is my default search entry in IE9 but every search entry shows up in the address field as a "...search.yahoo.com" address. And the results page is plastered with Yahoo ads. I don't know what I have done to deserve this, there are no Yahoo entries in Control Panel / Programs and Features, and no Yahoo in IE9 / Tools / Settings. Full system scan by McAfee turns up nothing.

Second problem (now solved) is that my latest update of Adobe Flash concealed an installation of Google Chrome. That one at least I have finally eliminated. But meanwhile every HTG screen I open urges me to install Adobe Flash Player (again)... Leaves me feeling like a character in a vampire movie, at the point when they are turning up everywhere.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

When downloading Flash, check the download page to opt out of Chrome, etc. before downloading. Sneaky bastards!

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

I Just downloaded Adobe Flash Player and didn't see any option about Chrome just the usual McAfee and it installed just fine, no sneaky Chrome!!!

Edit - Just noticed that the Option is there in you are using Internet Explorer, as with the McAfee option, just uncheck it.

Have you checked Manage Add-ons in Internet Explorer?

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.