The Sistem Is Experiencing Excessive Paging

(10 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by tara204
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 8412 times

tara204

I'm getting this message "The sistem is experiencing excessive paging"
Cause:Available memory on the sistem is low
Details: The total physical memory on the system is not capable of handling load
Resolution:Upgrade the physical memory or reduce sistem load
Please help what should I do?

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Well, in part you already have the answer. You apparently do not have enough memory (RAM and/or Virtual). Before we go any further, tell me first how much RAM you have - and also how much virtual memory is assigned (see in task manager > Performance Tab). It is the bigger number (of the two) on the bottom right.

Posted 5 years ago

tara204

I have 512MB RAM
On the Performance Tab see Physical Memory 81%

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Tara, this is far too little RAM for Vista. For normal operation you need 2GB. The 81% does not mean much the number I was looking for, was this one:

In my picture the first number (1558) is the used memory (RAM and/or Virtual) and the second number (6867) is the total Vitual memory. That is the interesting number in your case. Btw: I have 4GB of RAM (but only 3.2GB of that are being used - because of the limits of the 32bit adressing)

Now here are the things you can do:

1. Best solution is to upgrade your RAM to 2GBs
2. If you have more than 1 user partitions (e.g. seperate partitions for your kids or your husband, etc.), then you should close those. Your system cannot support that.
3. Make sure you always close the pages after you are done with it. If you have several open windows sitting in the task tray, they will use memory.
4. Let's check whether you can eliminate some of the startup programs. For that download WinPatrol. This is a lot easier to work with than msconfig. Go to Startup Programs, make the window big enough so that it shows all the startups and then take a snip and post that. It should look something like this:

5. We can also increase the Virtual memory on your system and use Ready boost. But let's discuss this later and do the above first. I do not want you to get all confused with too many steps.

Posted 5 years ago

tara204

Thanks for your help =)

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

That all looks good. No need to touch your Startup programs - you hardly have any. Your virtual memory is also normal for the size RAM you have. Something relatively big must have been running when you got the message you posted in your first post. Do you remember what that could have been? And do you have more than 1 user partitions?
But in any case - as I said before, 512MB is just not enough to run Vista. Do you have the possibility to increase your RAM. No idea what that would cost in your country, but in the US it would be less than $50 for 2GB. What is your system's make and model? I like to check how much RAM you can put on it.

Posted 5 years ago

tara204

I have only 1 user partition. Asus A9RPseries.
It worked good and then a few days ago ( I can't remember what I have downloaded computer started to restart by self) I uninstalled all new programs which I downloaded earlier but that still happens. I checked computer with a few antivirus programs and everything is ok. I don't know what else to do, I just want my computer not to restarting by self and I don't know what's reason for that.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Understand. Just to make sure that there is not any malware involved, run this program whilst I check on your system. This is a good program that detects more malware than your average scanning programs. http://www.superantispyware.com/

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

OK, up to 2GB is possible http://reviews.cnet.com/laptop.....ain-full-l - If I were you, I would consider upgrading it.
In the meantime you could try Ready Boost. A fast USB flash drive of 2GB would be ideal. In your Windows Help and Support (Start > Help and Support) you will find the details. Here is an article that will give you more insight. http://blogs.technet.com/askpe.....boost.aspx

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Tara204, I also noticed that on the Task Manager it lists the total physical memory as "446 MB". This strongly suggests to me that you have an integrated graphics chip that is taking 64 MB of memory to use for the video display. This is quite common on budget systems, but it reduces the amount of memory even more. This memory cannot be reclaimed as the graphics display would no longer work. The result is that you have even less than the very minimum required 512 MB to run Vista. Adding more memory, as WHS suggests will make the system work much better.

Is that Vista you have the Basic Edition or the Home Premium? Your screen shots tell me that you are not running Windows Aero, something that you could turn off to improve performance. Vista Basic does not have Aero and Vista Home Premium would disable it on a system with so little memory.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!