How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - The new internet explorer8!

(18 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by Azazeel
  • Latest reply from BobJam
  • Topic Viewed 2873 times

Azazeel
Azazeel

i used firfox 3.5 in my early version of windows7 ,but recently installed windows 7 build 7600 x64, and i am noticing supirior speed in ie8. just wana know dat ive been hearing a lot of crap about ie.i know that previous versions of ie were not worth it But is it really de case wid new ie8? i think ie8 has improved greatly, what do you people suggest? Please shed some light!!

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

You use what is good for you. That's the way it goes in all these discussions :)

Posted 4 years ago

Azazeel
Azazeel

Well dis answer is not satisfactory.. i mean okay i know u sound right but c,mon....?

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

What do you want to know ? Just test every browser out there. When you find one that you like, then use it.
Everybody has a different system setup, and different internet connections. It is one of those things you have to test for yourself.
I am not being mean, or nasty here. Thats the way technology works :)

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Azazeel, my take on this is that IE8 works well for me, despite all of the negative impressions that some folks have. I don't find IE8 to be appreciably faster than Firefox 3.5, but I also don't find FF 3.5 to be noticeably faster than IE8. They are both quite snappy to the point that I don't even think about speed much.

These browsers are fast for me, I expect, because I have broadband service, a relatively fast PC (for web browsing), and a fairly fresh install. Like you, I am running Windows 7 RTM x64 and only installed it a few days ago.

As for IE8, I have had it installed for a while now, since it first was released in the full version (no betas or RCs). It has not given me any trouble and I really like the support that it has for the latest web standards. However, I have seen the threads in this forum where some folks have had trouble that went away when they rolled back from IE8 to IE7. It is because of those incidents, I expect, that IE8 has gotten a bad reputation with some people.

Posted 4 years ago

Azazeel
Azazeel

Thanks Scotttw and LH i guess ur rite...! ie8 is not that bad afterall..

Posted 4 years ago

Azazeel
Azazeel

One thing that puzzlez me is that when i opened multiple tabs in ie8 wid different websites lets say 4 tabs, i noticed that each tab was consuming memory. as if 4 times browser is opened seperatly.? this was odd as opening tab is a kind of a facility in modern browsers and it means it will open in the browser as one programe. now i never saw dis kinda thing happenin to firefox or it culd be that ff3 is showing one programe but consuming the same amount of memory as ie 8? only difference is ie 8 shows 4 ie8,s seperatly and ff3 shows nly one? is dat it? it shows in task manager.

Posted 4 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

I use Google Chrome as my primary browser

The speed does it for me.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Azezeel, the behavior that you are seeing is normal. This is a new feature in IE8 (also in the Chrome that Aleeve uses) where each tab runs as a separate process. This allows for a page in one tab to "crash" without taking out the whole browser, as could happen in the past. I explained this before in another thread. Here is the important part:

...it's normal to have multiple iexplore.exe processes when running Internet Explorer 7 or 8. IE8 will start one iexplore.exe instance for the browser and an additional iexplore.exe for each tab or tab group. If you are on IE8 and have 4 iexplore.exe processes running, that should be 3 tabs or tab groups currently open. This is a good feature because one tab/tab group can crash and not take any others with it.

How much memory is being consumed by all of your iexplore.exe processes? It should not be that much.

Posted 4 years ago

Azazeel
Azazeel

hmmm.. Scottw now that you have told me dat its infact a good feature to have multiple ie8,s running and yes it didnt consume much memory so now i know. ypu have cleared my confusion..
thanks to you for guiding me once agian.
case closed i guess..

Posted 4 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

Don't mean to rain on everybody's parade, but Susan Bradley, a writer for Windows Secrets, and an MSMVP, says in a recent column:

"I'm postponing deployment of IE 8 on my computers, because I continue to encounter compatibility problems in my testing. The glitches are slowly being resolved, but I'm still not ready to give a blanket recommendation to upgrade to IE 8, nor am I comfortable applying it to the production systems I manage."

To read the full article, go here and scroll about 1/3 down.

Just playing Devil's Advocate. I really don't have an opinion on this because I fled Windows and am now a confirmed Linux (Ubuntu) user.

Posted 4 years ago

JH

I know the thread's closed, it may be just me but I feel that FF is faster opening multiple tabs at once, which suits my style of reading an email and opening all the relevant links at once. In IE the page you are reading seems to slow down as well. Of course, it may just be the rubbish installed by HP that I haven't bothered removing.

Posted 4 years ago

AgentFleabag
AgentFleabag

Sorry to bump in, but Win 7 still hasn't officially released has it?
It's only the Bata version right?

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

You are correct.

Posted 4 years ago

AgentFleabag
AgentFleabag

Alrighty, Just checking.
Just two questions LH...

1-When (est) will Win7 be out
2-Is there any Patabyte Hard Drives out for sale? or are they still not on the market?

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Please post those in 2 New Topics. Thanks.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

AgentFleabag, please start a new topic. This thread is about Internet Explorer 8.

Posted 4 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

Browser wars are perpetual. It's like arguing about what's the best wine. It's a matter of personal taste.

That said, I do think IE8 is an improvement over IE7. Nevertheless, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Firefox and Linux user.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!