The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Off Topic

The Guild - web TV for and about geeks

(19 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by ScottW
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 1859 times

ScottW

For us geeks who have been waiting for a show that features geeks like us, check out The Guild webisodes by Felicia Day:
http://www.watchtheguild.com/episodes.html

And when I say geeks like us, I am specifically excluding that Chuck fellow who saves the world and hangs out with hot girls. Geek, my a**!

Posted 6 years ago

LH

Geeks like us ? describe

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

Well, gamer geeks would be more accurate. The guild from the title is a group of dysfunctional PC addicts who play a World of Warcraft-type game. They sit in front of their PCs all day (know anyone like that?) and are more comfortable communicating as online personas than as real people. Comedy ensues when they are forced to meet in real life. Each webisode is only 3-6 minutes in length, so it won't take you long to decide if you like it or not.

The wife watched with me and enjoyed it, too. So, folks who live with geeks/gamers can laugh along, too!

Posted 6 years ago

LH

"(know anyone like that?)". yes, but not playing games :)
I watched 1½ episodes. I had a problem with the girl.

Posted 6 years ago

madmacs

I quite enjoyed watching that, I know someone just like them. Ummm.... well maybe, I do have a life too, lol.

Posted 6 years ago

LH

So what about "The Big Bang Theory" ?

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

LH, I look at The Big Bang Theory and would say that it's about nerds, not geeks. I see the similar stereotypes that were in "Revenge of the Nerds". But, I admit that I have never seen a full episode. I'll take another look.

Matt, the wife and I know just enough about RPGs and game addiction to laugh at The Guild without seeing ourselves reflected in the characters.

Posted 6 years ago

LH

ScottW, can you give us foreigners a definition of the difference between Geeks and Nerds please ?

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

Geeks build (virtual) castles in the sky. Nerds live in them.

Posted 6 years ago

techgranny

ScottW, give Big Bang a try. I've recently discovered HTG's "Sheldon":)

Posted 6 years ago

madmacs

Quote: "Geeks build (virtual) castles in the sky. Nerds live in them." But surely that would make the Nerds a step ahead of the Geeks, which can´t be right, lol

Posted 6 years ago

LH

Oma...Please tell, just whisper it very quietly :)

Posted 6 years ago

techgranny

Ahh LH...you're still the rapscallion:)

Posted 6 years ago

LH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....re=related

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

The original quote is: "Neurotics build castles in the sky. Psychotics live in them." It's a measure of insanity, so being a step ahead is NOT a good thing. :-)

Posted 6 years ago

madmacs

lol ScottW, well if you put it that way...

Posted 6 years ago

LH

I just found another one :) tis called "The I.T. Crowd", and is from Channel 4, in the UK.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

Hey, gang, thanks for the recommendation. The wife and I have started watching season one of Big Bang Theory and we both like it!

Now that I have watched a few episodes, I would have to say that they are poking fun at the geek, the nerd, and the genius stereotypes. Oh, yeah, and the dumb blond (girl) stereotype, too.

Posted 6 years ago

LH

ScottW, I wouldn't bother with "The I.T. Crowd". The 1st episode wasn't brilliant, but looked promising.
Unfortunately the next 2, just went downhill :(

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.