How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

The Geek's New Computer - Need Opinions

(35 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by The Geek
  • Latest reply from jack7h3r1pp3r
  • Topic Viewed 19506 times

ScottW
ScottW

@whs, I see. So, my mistake was believing that CoreTemp produced accurate readings, at least for AMD processors. That means CoreTemp readings are useless for comparing Intel and AMD processor temps -- like apples and oranges. As a wise man once said, "...I am not so sure how good the readings of the CoreTemp program are." As I'm typing this, my Q6600 reads 37,37,34,34C in CoreTemp and that means...absolutely nothing because I no longer trust this app.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

That about sums it up. But isn't that the case with most nums. It's an approximation. As I type this, I read 44, 38, 43, 45. It may not be accurate, but it's entertaining and fun to watch. The best way to measure the heat of your system is using your fingers - and let me tell you, on my HP laptop I get blisters if I forget to turn the coolpad on.

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

I put in the order for the computer this morning... I'm thinking of getting a tv tuner card as well.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

What TV do you figure on watching - the weather channel is the only useful station.

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Yeah, that's the main reason I haven't gotten one so far =)

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

My local weather channel is playing at all times out my windows. Just pull the curtains back and there it is, better quality than HDTV. Who needs TWC? :D

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I use the weather gadget that came with Vista, in my sidebar.
It is set the local town (14 miles away)
Any bad weather coming, comes from that direction.
Nice little early warning system.

Posted 5 years ago

ross

I guess it's way too late to pipe in with a smartass "Mac Pro" comment huh.

Posted 5 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

Haha,
Ross, what is it that you like about Mac so much? I'd choose Windows anyday - i know there are loads of problems, but with anything like that there are bound to be, and I don't mind too much anyway - I love Windows and its usability, compatability and everthing else!

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

The Mac Pro is one fast machine. You can get one with 8 cores and an absurd amount of RAM.

Posted 5 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

Fair point i suppose

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

You could also load vista on the mac pro if you use boot camp... I'd love to have one. They are blazing fast, and run quiet.

Posted 5 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

Yeah I've heard about boot camp - supposed to be quite good, but I imagine having vista AND os x will use a fair amount of disk space, but then again i expect theses 'super-macs' come with huge hard drives?!

Posted 5 years ago

xenomex
xenomex

I have been looking deeply into boot-camp..and so far, all i can say is, its really impressive.
i highly suggest to any tech using vmware to use it, thats under the circumstanse of having a >Blazing< fast MAc with alot of hardrvie memory...
Below is a screenshot of someone partitioning Windows XP and using bootcamp! but its the same for Windows vista...

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

i think that linux has the most possibilitys

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!