(75 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by billy12345
  • Latest reply from billy12345
  • Topic Viewed 8401 times

vistamike
vistamike

ClickPotato is adware, see http://www.microsoft.com/secur.....lickPotato

Download the free version of http://www.superantispyware.com/

Update the database and then run a full scan.

Mike

Posted 3 years ago

billy12345

Wow...getting out of hand. I try to D/L MalWare to get rid of possible virus or malware causing problem when searching...I'm stopped by "ClickPotato"(?) which has nothing to do with MalWare...now I should try D/L superantispyware to stop the ClickPotato adware, which is stopping the D/L of the MalWare, then update someone's database. Why superantispyware? I thought this MalWareBytes was "the thing"?

Are things always this complicated for a basic user? Thought it was gonna be a relatively simple issue when I made the first post, now I'm getting confused enough to just disregard it, don't want to pick brains for 50 or 100 posts and make a mountain out of what I thought was a molehill. Maybe my comp is just a "lemon", and has "weird" problems.

So, the point where I am at right now, is end of previous post, I did the restart, and that's it, the starting over point I guess. Now, I am not sure if I should D/L MalW (try), then update it first by D/Ling the 5 MalW "versions" before I "run" MalW (bubbatie1 = "...if ya download the malwarebytes for the first time it is a must you update it first b4 you run it..."). Also - bubbatie1 says "...open malwarebyes, look for "updates" then check for updates...". Look and check? You must mean look for any updates, and if there are any, D/L them. Then you say reboot in safe mode. Then "run/install" MalW? I'm about ready to roll over and play dead.

Posted 3 years ago

bubbatie1
bubbatie1

ok open up malwarebytes should look like this

then update it here under the "update tab looks like this

after all that is complete shut down the computer !

wait 30 seconds , then restart your computer tapping f8 as it is booting up start in safe mode !

you will now acess malwarebytes when your desktop appears .....click on "malwarebytes icon " on your desktop

when it opens should look something like this ............

now do a " FULL SCAN " remove anything it finds

Posted 3 years ago

whs
whs

Billy, If you have a real virus, Malwarebytes will probably remove it. But what Malwarebytes cannot do is repair the damage that the virus has done in the system. That is why after most virus removals the system never work correctly again.

That is where the images come in. If you had an image from a few days ago, you could set back to that image in 20 minutes and there would be a fully operational system again. You can try a system restore if you have a restore point from before the virus hit you. But that does not always work - many viruses disable that capability and system restore itself is pretty iffy.

Posted 3 years ago

bubbatie1
bubbatie1

hopefully he will get lucky as click potato is adware infested good luck billy........... anticipating your reply !

Posted 3 years ago

billy12345

bubbatie1, you assumed I already had the MalW all downloaded and installed, ready to rock n' roll, when I hadn't even got to that I was so confused. But, I tried again, and clicked away at anything that looked about right, and, amazingly, things fell into place. Did the full scan, says I have 18 things infected.

Posted 3 years ago

whs
whs

It will depend what infections those are. E.g. tracking cookies are regarded as infections but are harmless. Trojans, Viruses, keyloggers, etc. are serious and must be dealt with asap.

Posted 3 years ago

billy12345

Under which heading tells me if they are bad ones...Vendor/Category/Item

Posted 3 years ago

bubbatie1
bubbatie1

open the quarintine tab look for any of the words mentioned in whs's post ex ........adware ,virus , worm, tracking cookie , trojan ect (ill be on all night to walk ya through this ) lookin forwar to your reply

Posted 3 years ago

billy12345

Something is wrong, none of the tabs will open when I click on them.

Posted 3 years ago

bubbatie1
bubbatie1

ok any luck yet ? if not malwarbytes did quarintine these no tabs opening? hmmmmmmmm

Posted 3 years ago

billy12345

Waited and tried for a while, seemed to be frozen, so I closed and restarted. But now I just opened MalW back up, and I can click on the Quarantine tab...but now it shows "0" items.

Posted 3 years ago

bubbatie1
bubbatie1

ok click on logs
open up log file cut & paste info in here then

Posted 3 years ago

billy12345

Logs tab is blank.

Posted 3 years ago

bubbatie1
bubbatie1

hmmmmmmmmmm try a quick scan should only be bout 7 to 10 min ..malwarebytes is the one who caught the 18 nasties right ?

Posted 3 years ago

billy12345

yes, it said 18 before....I did quick scan now, it says only 11.

Posted 3 years ago

bubbatie1
bubbatie1

ok what are they? trojans adware cookies ect ??????????

Posted 3 years ago

billy12345

Now the same thing as before, nothing happens when I click on any of the tabs.

Posted 3 years ago

bubbatie1
bubbatie1

look in the logs tab

malwarebytes saves a log after every scan click on a log & see what it says .......... when you get that far

Posted 3 years ago

billy12345

Like I said, same as before...nothing happens when I click on ANY of the tabs.

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!