The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

(Solved) - The difference is MORE than expected

(22 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by crlamb
  • Latest reply from crlamb
  • Topic Viewed 1007 times

crlamb

You are reading and hearing a lot about SSD. Well, I did mine and the difference is amazing. Boot time average is about 25 seconds. Programs open almost instantly. My computer is almost two years old, and when it was built, the entire system was "mid level" state of the art, but this is almost unbelievable.
I installed the Intel 335, and wish that I had done it sooner. I have a SATA 2 motherboard and I am told that SATA 3 would apparently have made boot even faster. This will change the computer world.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

SATA III is faster, but the difference isn't going to be that noticeable. Depending on what is being done, maybe only seconds will be saved.

I put a SATA II on my 3 1/2 year old and it made a 4+ minute boot less then 40 seconds. It all depends on your total h/w and how much you load at boot-up, and delay by some programs due to the need to retrieve Internet information.

Solid State beats mechanical drives all the time.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

25 seconds is OK but could be faster. Have a look into Event Viewer > Event ID 100 for the exact time. You get there thru these steps:

Eventvwr
Applications and Service Logs
Microsoft
Windows
Diagnostics - performance
Operational
Event ID 100

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Yeah, NO need for using mechanical hard disk drives any more on personal computers.

They were slow, large, heavy, generated a lot heat, wasted much energy and prone to catastrophic failures.

SSDs are the way to go on all PCs.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

@ Rick. Actually, it depends. An SSD that would replace the spinner in my notebook (there is room for only drive in it) would cost significantly more than the entire machine (yes, I considered it but being the cheap, old broad I am...). It takes only 35 seconds to a minute (depending on its "mood") for it to boot up and I generally use that time to make a biobreak, snag a snack, etc. anyway so I don't even notice the time. Even with a 5400 rpm spinner, all but two of my programs on the thing take only two or three seconds to start except for Media Monkey the first time after a fresh boot (10 seconds) and even less (5 seconds) after that (both including horsing with the UAC notification) and calibre which takes 50 seconds the first time it gets loaded after a fresh boot and five seconds after that. I don't use calibre very often on that machine so it's nothing to lose sleep (or money) over. Even with my desktop (which I'm not using right now because it's XP—Win 7 has me spoiled—and is slated for replacement soon), it stays on 24/7 (with only an occasional restart to unscramble the OS) so program start up isn't that big a deal (the lack of TRIM support on XP is also a factor but will be irrelevant in a year or so anyway). Around 500 shekels to halve the start times of programs that are already starting in less than five seconds? Doesn't make economic sense for most people.

That said, having an SSD for a boot drive will make a machine fast enough it would negate the need to run it 24/7, thus cutting the electric bill and heat gain a bit, unless one has tasks going on the background or scheduled to happen when one is normally in bed (automatic backups, downloads, updates, etc.), but won't significanly increase the speed of data movement except for huge amounts all at once. I will agree that SSDs are the future of computers but prices will have to drop a lot more, especially for larger drives used for data storage, before they take over.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@LF,

The new 2013 Corvette does 0 to 60 MPH in 4 Seconds, why wait 5 seconds for software to open ?? (LOL)

You need a Corvette and SSDs Both. :) :)

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Need and being able to afford are two different things. Even 'need' has to be taken into account if you 'need it', that is no other way to do it.

If I'm going to use a computer for 10 minutes, a 3 minute boot percentage wise lengthens the time I'll use the computer considerably. However, if I'm going to be using it for 7 hours, insignificant time addition with respect to the work I'd do.

As for SSD reliability, well, that to me is another aspect to think about. WRITING to the unit shortens life, period. All SSD's have 'extra' cells and allocate them as needed. All gone, drive is too. Yeah, as I'm using ours now, careful where programs and OS can write too, I'm sort of extending the time to well after we're done with the computers, but if I had ONLY SSD's, I can't say that would be true?

Not everyone can afford that larger sizes needed to fully replace the mechanical(s) they now have. To me the small gain in time of a program loading and being able to be used in relation to the time I'm going to use the program is insignificant and meaningless.

SSD's will become more standard in the future, probably the combo of a small SSD acting as cache with a large mechanical behind it will come first (and some vendors supply that now).

What would you rather do? Spend $$$'s on SSD's or Intel Extreme Edition CPU's and large RAM Graphics cards????

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Spend $$$$ on SSDs, EE CPUs, Large Ram Graphics Cards and get a new Corvette too !!!! <VBG>

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Rick, can you make me a one-time, non-repayable loan so I can do as you say? <VBG> Question, do you have a new Corvette or you .....

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Irv, NO, I haven't got a Corvette; just saw the new ones and specs on the local TV news. <VBG>

0 to 60 MPH in 4 Seconds is beyond belief !!

I DO have ALL SSD Computers in raid 0 arrays however.

Would NEVER go back to mechanical hard drives as they are so slow at doing anything.

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

dbarker
dbarker

Rick. Any idea when the size of the SSD's will get big enough to replace my 20TB JBOD NAS and the price to buy it will be cheaper than a new Corvette?

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Hi Doug,

Long time no see !! :) :)

I ain't got a clue how you're going to replace that HUGE NAS any time soon. (LOL) (LOL)

May be start playing the Lottery Regularly. :) :)

Best Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

@ Rick. LOL! Ok, I'm old. Speed isn't everything anymore. I'd rather have an F150 than a 'Vette.

Posted 1 year ago

dbarker
dbarker

LOL

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Yeah, you help push mine off to get started and then we can use my jumper cables to get yours started. (LOL) (LOL)

Have to work together in my poor part of the country. :)

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

Works for me (although I DO have a new battery and heavy duty jumper cables).

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Posted 1 year ago

crlamb

whs........I did what you stated with the Event Viewer, but really do not understand what information that was presented........all I know is that boot time is very fast compared to what I was accustom to.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

The Event100 gives you the precise boot time (in ms). It is better than any tool or the stop watch. That's all there is to it. What did yours actually say ??

Posted 1 year ago

crlamb

Boot Start Time 2013-01-17T19:49:05
Boot End Time 2013-01-17T19:51:55
Boot Time 23739

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!