How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

The "Can't Live Without" Firefox Add-On's

(48 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Appletom
  • Latest reply from Scott
  • Topic Viewed 6029 times

Appletom
Appletom

I'm one of the many Firefox fans around the world, I use Firefox for 99% of my web browsing. One of Firefox's great benefits is the ability to use Add-On's that have been developed by others. Some I can't live without, others I have tried and removed.

There are currently eight Add-On's in my browser:

Mouse Gestures - If for some reason I was only allowed one Add On, this would be the one. This tool lets you right-click-and-drag (gesture) to go backwards or forwards (previous page or next page). You can also set it to go up, down or sideways and you can set what your browser does with each gesture. I found a new one today - when I gesture "Up", it takes me to the top of the page. This is great for long pages.

IE Tab - Yep, there are still some pages that work better in Internet Explorer. The IE Tab puts a little icon in the bottom right of your browser, click it once to render the page in IE within Firefox.

McAfee SiteAdvisor - This also lives in the lower right corner of my browser and is usually green. If it's yellow, that means be leery. If it's red, that means the site has proven to have malware or is known for a lot of spam. I have seen false readings, the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center is a very legit site, but McAfee flags it as red. And it's not a true add on, but an application that runs with Firefox (and IE).

Those are the three I absolutely could not live without. The others I have are:

CustomizeGoogle - You've got to install it to understand, but your Google search box changes to a drop down box, so if I'm searching for "AMD vs. Intel", by the time I get to the "I" in "Intel", the whole phrase is an option to click on.

FoxClocks - This one also lives in the lower right corner. Hovering over the icon gives a pop-up with a list of the current time for every location I want. I have a good friend in Greece and we IM on occasion. I can hover and instantly tell what time it is in Greece, no need to open MS Messenger if it's 3:00 AM.

Linkification - When a webpage has links in cleartext, i.e. the link is spelled out but it isn't a hotlink, Linkification makes it a clickable link.

WellRounded - Gives the url and search boxes rounded corners, makes them look nicer. Just eye candy.

Tab Effect - When switching from one tab to another, it "rotates" as if each tab was the side of a cube. "Pimp My Firefox" is how one user reviewed it. This one might become annoying after a while, it does add a second or so to each tab switch. But even if I end up turning it off (probably will), I will definitely leave it available and turn it on if someone is going to visit and we will be using a browser - the "Whoa - That's cool!" comments will be worth it. And it absolutely goes on my laptop for when I give presentations just to add some "Wow" factor.

Fast Dial - This turns my "About:Blank" page into 12 thumbnails. Very handy.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

The top 4 add-ons I have to have:
Tab Mix Plus - Various useful tab related options
Adblock - Removes annoying Advertisements
Greasemonkey - Lets you change the behavior of various web sites with a User Script. Many scripts for it are at http://userscripts.org/. I have some like IMDBAge. Which calculates the age of someone on IMDB and places it on the page.
Sitebar Client - Displays the Sitebar web application in a Sidebar. I keep my bookmarks in a Sitebar install on my server and use this to display them.

Edit: Updated. Forgot about 1 more essential add-on I use.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

OK
Gmail Skins
Gmail Space
gTranslate
Stylish
Tab Mix Plus
Toolbar Buttons
WebMail Notifier
IE Tab (just installed (and just failed it's 1st task (but not configured yet I think))
Talkback
Adblock Plus
British English Dictionary
DOM Inspector
DownThemAll

and last, but not least.....in themes is....Walnut for Firefox

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Here are other ones I use:
BugMeNot - Useful to enter usernames and passwords from BugMeNot to login to sites that require registration when you just want to read one article from the site and leave.
Context Search Changes context menu "Search the Web" item to show a submenu of installed search engines
Launchy - Useful to open the current page or a link in another program like Internet Explorer when needed. I may want to try IE Tab for this though when I tried it a year or so ago it had a couple problems.
MR Tech Local Install - Useful Extension that helps managing extensions. One of the best features is being able to ignore an extension's version info and force it to run for extensions that will work in a new version and just need new version info.
Resurrect Pages - Adds a box to web site page not found Firefox errors with a link to archive.org, Google Cache and a couple others to see the page before it went down if it was saved. Also has a toolbar button to do it too.
Scrapbook - Lets you keep a collection of saved web pages like bookmarks that you can keep in case the page goes down or your internet connection is down.
Submit To Tab - Lets you right click on a submit button like on search pages and open the page in a new tab.

Edit:
Extensions I don't use that often:
Image Zoom - Zooms Images
Konquefox - Adds a couple address bar features that Konqueror has.
Live HTTP Headers - Useful for checking out HTTP URLs. I use it to find out urls web sites are hiding like AD urls.

More when I have time. Way too many to list now.

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

NoScript (don't surf without it)
AdBlock Plus (shhh, don't tell The Geek)
Download Statusbar
Flashblock
IE View Lite
Image Zoom
MR Tech Local Install (indispensable)
Restore Scroll Position
Secure Login
Stop in the Name of Love (add short .wav to STOP button )
Stylish
Tab Mix Lite
Tab Scope (cool!)
View Cookies CS

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I'm looking pretty wimpy at this point. I hope everyone else will be honest with their entries!

Posted 6 years ago

Smashpmk712
Smashpmk712

Is there a hotkey for switching between tabs in firefox?

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Here's what I use in my regular browsing profile:

-------------------------------------------------------
About This Site Bookmarks - a lifehacker extension that lets you see information about a page

Adblock Plus - I only use this sometimes

Alexa Sparky - Shows alexa ranking (only useful for webmasters)

del.icio.us - post to delicious

Fast Dial - a clone of opera's feature

Faviconize Tab - I only use this for a few tabs I always have open like google reader

FoxyProxy - The pointy-headed bosses at work are unable to block me since I use this

functions for keyconfig - hotkeys!

Greasemonkey - Uber-Customize! I have a bunch of scripts I use.

keyconfig - hotkeys!

Personal Menu - saves space, good stuff

SearchStatus - webmaster extension, shows info about websites

SplitBrowser - splits the browser into separate panes, useful for when I'm working without a second
monitor.

StumbleUpon - fun!

Stylish - I use this more than anything... can customize annoying things about websites I frequent.

Tab Mix Plus - duplicate tab, reopen tab, closed tab list... can't live without it.
-------------------------------------------------------

I have two more profiles as well, a clean testing one for article writing and a web development one that I already detailed here:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....t-profile/

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

@Smash

Yes, there's a number of them... ctrl+tab is the most used.

Posted 6 years ago

Appletom
Appletom

Smashpmk712:
Ctrl+Tab = Next tab to the right.
Ctrl+Shift+Tab = Next tab to the left.

Posted 6 years ago

Smashpmk712
Smashpmk712

Thanks so much for the fast response .... I like to use the keyboard as much as possible .... makes work go by faster.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Actually to be perfectly correct, it depends on what setting you have... for instance if you have the setting for "Ctrl-Tab navigates tabs in the most recently used order" set in Tab Mix Plus, it doesn't go right to left.

Posted 6 years ago

Appletom
Appletom

Well, I'll embarrass myself by acknowledging that my "hotkey" for moving between tabs is the mouse.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Oooooooooooooh...........

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

It looks like "Restore Scroll Position" and "Secure Login" could be useful ones to add to my Firefox extension list. I'll try them later and see how they work.
Slightly off topic, does anyone know of an extension to save the contents of a text box when navigating away from the page? I've lost a couple posts here I was writing as I accidentally navigated away from the page.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

these lists have really helped i've kinda been looking for some good add-ons for my firefox thx

and appletom you need to learn some hotkeys they help a lot and are faster

Posted 6 years ago

Appletom
Appletom

The "Restore Scroll Position" looks really nice, but it doesn't work. HTG is one of the sites that forgets where I was on a page when I click a link then click back.

I like "Faviconize Tab" - it would be super nice if it remembered which tabs I wanted Faviconized.

And I've tried "Bug Me Not" before, can't seem to get it to work.

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

@JD, you just need to set searches to open in a new tab. Tab Mix Lite (or TMP) did for me after losing some posts as well ;)

@Appletom, https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=215405
Maybe The Geek knows of a workaround.

Actually the extension *does* work, certain pages do not.

Posted 6 years ago

Appletom
Appletom

I figured it out Scott - There are two versions of "Restore Scroll Position". When I install v.04, the one that says, "current stable release, but not recommended", it works just fine.

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

Good to hear :)

I expect loads of extension/theme issues by June as FF3 rolls out.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!