• Started 5 years ago by jeffwhistler
  • Latest reply from butchiedog
  • Topic Viewed 2037 times

jeffwhistler

which is the best reg cleaner reg mechanic or reg cure and is seachwarebot good

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

I don't think there is any "best" - there may be worst though. I never had any problems with CCleaner - works well. But be aware, that many people think that any registry cleaning has it's dangers and that registry cleaning gives you no advantage ( e.g. performance wise).

Posted 5 years ago

InDiSent
InDiSent

I also use Ccleaner. No issues so far.

Posted 5 years ago

jeffwhistler

when you go to start and then run where do they find all those short cuts and how do they know which ones to type in and is this hard to find out I am using xp as well as vista and do I really need a reg cleaner. I have attempted to make cd back ups but to no avial thanks for all of your help

Posted 5 years ago

techgranny
techgranny

I've used TuneUp Utilities for a couple of years now and find it to be quite conservative and I've never had to use the backup. I really like all of the extra features; especially all of the boot and welcome screens. (but I suppose all of you geniuses make you own visuals:)

whs, welcome back! How much performance advantage do you think registry cleaning offers and how often should the task be performed?

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

@whs, well said! I am one of those people (that whs very diplomatically describes) who believes that you should not do any registry cleaning on a regular basis. I have seen no independent research that proves cleaning the registry improves performance or that a "dirty" registry will degrade system performance or stability. Then again, I have no proof of the contrary but am inclined to believe the expert voices who speak out against regular cleaning.

Having said all that, a registry cleaner can be used to solve problems so the use of one as a diagnostic tool is prescribed. CCleaner is quite popular and is probably the safest tool to use for registry fix-up. Also, CCleaner has a number of other functions for removing temp files and other junk that really does cause slowdowns.

Posted 5 years ago

techgranny
techgranny

Interesting about the differing opinions regarding registry cleaning, I did not know there was a debate.

I looked at Ccleaner and Tuneup and found the only differences were user friendliness. (a matter of personal preference) I strongly recommend that everyone take a look at the plethora of utilities Tuneup has to offer before summarily dismissing it.

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I have just done a scan with 3 different reg.cleaners. Here are the the results of the number of errors they found.
CCleaner (3)
RegSeeker (18)
Registry Mechanic (38)
These 3 I use all the time, and never had any problems.

Posted 5 years ago

Deney

I use Registry Mechanic, (which seems the "best" on Lighthouses searches) and although I don't notice a different, and neither will any one else, I'm a clean freak, I do scans for fun etc haha, and I hate anything I don't need on my PC. And it's good to see Reg Mechanic delete Temporary Files/Shortcuts, because I hate these types of files which will never ever get used, even if they are only 1kb each! Also I like to run it afted I have deleted something as ofthen files are left over, etc. but this is changing after I got Revo from this site, so thankss =p.

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I am like you Deney. I do not want anyting that isn't needed, on my hard disk
Unfortunately Registry Mechanic, you have to pay for. I was lucky to get mine when they were giving it away free for a month at the end of last year. So it's not the latest version, but it's good

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

I have also noticed that CCleaner is rather "conservative" - or whatever you want to call it. That maybe the reason it never creates any problems. And since registry cleaning seems to be something that is more in our heads than serving a real purpose, one might as well use a "soft" tool rather than one which eradicates the grass with the weeds. At the end of the day you can have the same "fun" (as Deney said) with either one.

Posted 5 years ago

butchiedog

Registry Mechanic is very good and well worth paying for. The freebies mainly just find the easiest things they can handle and some add a number of fictitious results to look impressive, like they are really doing something. You get what you pay for or don't pay for in the end.

John

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!