The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

that LOUSY windows audio device graph isolation

(8 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by ShArKy
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 7354 times

ShArKy

this small apllication (audiodg.exe) which runs in the background in vista, located in the system directory, starts slowly, but over time, it HOGS up more and more memory.....i'm at 9 days uptime, and already the program is using 1.5 GB!!!

at this rate, it will take 192 days to fully use up all my 32 GB of memory...does anyone know a fix for this?
maybe a memory flushing program that will force windows to release the wasted memory?

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

It's always good to reboot from time to time.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

ShArKy, it sounds like a bad memory leak. Also, it seems that you are not alone. See the following threads from other forums where it is discussed:

http://www.vistax64.com/sound-.....-help.html
http://www.vistax64.com/sound-.....ndles.html
http://www.vistaheads.com/foru.....fixed.html

Posted 5 years ago

ShArKy

hello and thanks for your replies to my note...
yes i know that it's a VISTA problem, and not mine...but i was hoping they would fix it with SP2...i guess not...

the reason i haven't rebooted, is cos i'm trying to break my uptime record of 32 days...
i know i'll get there....but it's just disappointing that the people over at microsoft didn't do anything about it...i dont' understand why they wouldn't since people from all over the world have noticed the same thing..

i'm wondering if windows 7 has the same stupid problem..

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

ShArKy, if this is a Vista problem, does it happen on all Vista installs? Do you have to be playing music? Does it have to be DRM-protected music?

I would like to see a screen shot of your Task Manager with the long uptime number. I have been wanting to do this myself, but I am always tinkering -- installing, uninstalling, dual booting, and so on. I believe my Vista install is very stable and could go for weeks.

I'm running Windows 7 now, so if you can show me how to reproduce the audiodg.exe memory leak, I will try it and see. I can dual boot into Vista on this same hardware to verify that the memory leak happens there.

Posted 5 years ago

ShArKy

hello...well i wish i saw your reply BEFORE i shut down today for some maintenance (after 12 days of uptime), or i would have taken a SS for you...
i'll try and answer your questions as best i can tho...

1) as far as i know, it happens on all installs
2) you DO NOT need to be playing anything at all...the leak just starts around day 3 and keeps getting worse
3) it has nothing to do with any type of protection

if you wanna try it in windows 7 just look for that process in the task manager after 2 or 3 days.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Hey, no problem. One of these days I'm going to get a screen shot of a long uptime of my own. If I can just keep myself from rebooting....

I will keep an eye out for audiodg.exe leaking memory at day 3. In Vista and Win7, I don't see audiodg.exe in the process list unless I'm playing music with WMP. That was my understanding of how it works from reading about it. Other media players can play music without audiodg.exe, so I'm wondering why it would spontaneously launch on day 3 without any music playing. Hmmm.

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

I think it's any audio. Not just music.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!