The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Text in WordPad has Disappeared

(16 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by jannahgp
  • Latest reply from techgranny
  • Topic Viewed 2135 times

jannahgp

Last night, I saved my document on WordPad and closed it. Today, I reopened the document to find all the text gone. I have no idea as to why this happened and I'm extremely frustrated. Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance.

Posted 3 years ago

lvct

I don't think you would have hidden your text in wordpad as it involves a couple of steps. But just in case try this. Open your wordpad document and press "Control+A". If there is any text there it will be highlighted.

Posted 3 years ago

jannahgp

I've already tried that several times and nothing showed up. I also tried changing the font color but still nothing. It seems like the text is there, but just invisible or something like that.

Posted 3 years ago

techgranny
techgranny

I would try a system restore. Preferably to the day before the problem started.

Posted 3 years ago

jannahgp

Unfortunately, the latest restore point available is June 11 which is before I even typed up the document. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Posted 3 years ago

techgranny
techgranny

System restore won't affect any of your documents. But any software downloads, updates/upgrades or security scans will be lost. You'll have to replace those.

Posted 3 years ago

jannahgp

Ah, is that so? I'll give it a try, thanks.

Posted 3 years ago

techgranny
techgranny

Don't take my word for it :)

http://windows.microsoft.com/e.....-questions

Posted 3 years ago

jannahgp

So, I did the system restore and my document still shows no text. Any other suggestions? ):

Posted 3 years ago

techgranny
techgranny

Honestly, I've only seen this particular problem with certain downloaded video games. If you're a gamer, I'd take a look at that. Do you have the same problem with notepad?

Posted 3 years ago

jannahgp

Nope, not a gamer. And if you mean trying to open the document in notepad, then yeah, it still comes up blank.

Posted 3 years ago

techgranny
techgranny

No, I mean typing something in notepad to see if it shows up. I would like an answer to this one as well.

Posted 3 years ago

jannahgp

Aha, I guess I should have made myself more clear. WordPad (and notepad) itself works and all the other documents I open are fine. It's just this specific document that seems to be broken.

Posted 3 years ago

techgranny
techgranny

That's a relief it's not wordpad. I hope you can somehow recover your document.

Posted 3 years ago

jannahgp

I'll just rewrite then. Thanks for the help :)

Posted 3 years ago

techgranny
techgranny

I didn't help much but appreciate the thanks :) I know you can't see it, but did you try copying it and pasting it into any other program, even an email? You might be able to recover it that way.

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!