The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) ~ Text Box Problems on Desktop Icons

(3 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by kennedy
  • Latest reply from kennedy
  • Topic Viewed 1175 times

kennedy

The problem I am having is with the text boxes below the icons on your desktop. For example, under the trashcan on your desktop, the default text is Recycle Bin. On every computer I have every worked on, the text font itself is colored, but the "text box" that surrounds the text is clear/translucent, meaning the text itself looks like it is "keyed" right on to your wallpaper.

However, after a forced shutdown a few months ago, my laptop (Dell Inspiron 8500, OS is Windows XP, Office is 2007) restarted with a colored text box beneath the icon text itself (currently the text box is black and the text is white). Obviously, the first thing I did was right click on the background, clicked Properties, which then brought up the Display Properties box.. From there I clicked the on the Desktop tab and began changing the color by clicking on the Color drop down menu. Despite trying every available color, and experimenting with the Advanced settings, the Customize Desktop feature, and all other variables associated with the Display, Icons,Fonts, Monitor, Control Panel, etc.. I have been unable to revert my desktop to the original setting.

Now I am no IT genius, but this seems like it sholuld be a fairly simple thing to do (a one or two click fix). However, when I asked the 3 IT guys working for my company (a Software Customization and Programming company) to look into it, they were at a loss as to how to fix it either.

So, I figured if there was anyone or anyplace out ther who may be able to help me out, it would have to be the How-To-Geek members. With that being said, if any of you have the answer, I would be forever in your debt.

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

See http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....indows-xp/

Posted 5 years ago

kennedy

Jd2066 -

Thanks for the link. Though the problem wasn't fixed by the main post be How-To-Geek, or the two related comments, I realized that at one time the Desktop was being viewed as a webpage and the Lock Taskbar box had been checked. When I unchecked that, it essentially reverted my desktop from its Web Page view (even though it wasn't currently being shown as a webpage), and fixed the problem.

Thaanks again, as you'd be amazed how such a small issue can literally drive you crazy.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!