SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Site Suggestions

Testing my config and this board software . . .

(28 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by BobJam
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 5446 times

BobJam
BobJam

Don't know where to put this . . . this "Site Suggestions" discussion comes the closest to what some other boards have as a "Test Your Posting Skills" discussion . . . though most of the users here are experienced enough not to need that, but there is the occasional novice's (and even intermediate users like myself) need to test things on posting from time to time.

OK . . . I'm testing two things here.

First, I want to see if I understand how to insert an image. Here goes:

This was a bogus "Security Center" thing a friend of mine got when he got infected with a Zlob trojan.
He actually DID have an anti-virus program installed and running (can't remember what it was, but it turns out he didn't even have it updated with the latest signatures), but he had downloaded some suspicious CODEC that apparently gave him Zlob via his penchant, like a lot of novices, to click on one of these rogue softwares. He called me when it started telling him it had detected some 800 some infections on his machine, and they wanted money in order to "remove" them. That was a lot of time spent with SmitFraud, Combofix, SAS, KillBox, a lot of those other industrial strength cleaners, and HJT logs. That Zlob really gets itself embedded in the registry.

Next, I just want to see how my LUA that I just set up does on these things. If I didn't like messing with these machines so much, setting up a LUA just to enhance security while surfing might have been more trouble than the incremental security enhancement was worth.

OK . . . end of test.

Posted 5 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

OK . . . it looks like everything worked. One question though: Does this board software only do .png's and jpg's?? What about .gif's and animation??

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Bob,

backticks aren't working for me.

How did you code the image in ?????

My image would be coming off of one of my websites.

Please respond.

Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

I didn't use any backticks. I just inserted the url of the image between those straight brackets:{img}url{/img} . . . I'm using the {}brackets here instead of the []brackets to avoid any errors in this board software.

In the alternative, you might take a look at the source code on this page if your browser has that capability . . . I'm using IE7 and it does have a view source code function:

And when you click on that, it opens up a view of the source code in Notepad (scroll about halfway down):

(Careful though . . . if you edit, the edit shows that "img src=" stuff, and then when you post the edit back you'll get that red X in the blank image. If you edit, you need to put the straight brackets back in, and do it just like you did to begin with.)

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

I'm getting nothing but a Box with a red X.

The code is gone when I edit.

Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

Guess I took too long uploading my screen shots and editing my post, 'cause it looks like you tried. Don't use those carrots . . . use straight brackets []. And forget the "P's". Just use straight brackets and the img tags.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Bob,

I left the code up for you to take a look at but I'm about to past the Edit time limit so took if off.

I am in a good bit of pain today so my coding is probably off and temper is short.

It does Aggravate me to no end that it is SO hard to use Simple HTML on this site.

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand word explanation to solve someone's problem.

I'm glad you figured out how but still don't know what you did because the site instructions plainly say to use backticks !!

Thanks,

Kindest Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

@raphoenix

I agree, the text processing is just pitiful in bbpress. It's one of those many things I keep meaning to take a look at. =)

Posted 5 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

Rick,

Ignore the site instructions about backticks, and just try putting the image codes WITH straight brackets ALONE . . . DON'T use the HTML "<" character . . . or any other HTML character for that matter, just [] and the image url between them.

BJ

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Bob,

Used HTML

NEED COMMENTS ON MY NEW MY NEW BUILD

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

Cool, Rick . . . looks like you got it. That pic reminds me of the PDP12 I worked with back in the mid-70's . . . assembly language. Those were the days of basic and fortran, and the TRS-80 came out a little afterward.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Bob,

I LOVE Assembly Language (LOL) (LOL) !!

Best Regards,

Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

Wait a minute . . .wait a minute . . .

Now it's showing up as the little square, circle, and triangle symbol where I first saw the actual image. Are you editing your post?? See my caution on that a couple of posts up just under my pic of the Notepad source code display.

Posted 5 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

OK . . . now it's showing up as the pic again. Geeezzz, this board software is weird.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Bob,

Like The Geek said above, he is working on the problem.

Believe it is taking a lot of time to pull from my site the complete image. It is coming off of a server in Nova Scotia. Think I can speed up the download but not sure... Working on it with another machine.

Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

Rick,

Thanks for the explanation . . . plausable. I'm still wondering though if this will do animated gif's. I see you have an animated avatar.

Well . . . maybe I'll try it right now:

Posted 5 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

Looks like it worked. But then I guess we're eating up all the bandwith on Geek's site here with all these images (yeah, right, like I could eat up bandwidth with my primitive dial up {said with a sarcastic tone})

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Bob,

COOL !!

If you can "pull" one kind of image, it should be able to do most others.

Yes, I changed my Avatar sometime during the past week when things were slow. I had to compress it (resize) to fit within the upload image size contraints which are enforced. Other wise, it would not animate.

Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Rick, I'm looking at your build and I would suggest that you upgrade to a color graphics adapter -- it's only a few hundred dollars more:

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

ScottW,

Yes I Agree. Big bang for small bucks.

It would be nice to run in a Dual Monitor Configuration if I can find the right video card.

Also that would give me surround sound 3.1 which would be good.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!