The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Test regedit in VHB?

(4 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by hurleyc33
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 349 times

hurleyc33

I have no experience with virtual drives but have been researching virtual drives to understand how they can be useful. It occurred to me as I was reading the post on this site that it could possible for a VHM could be useful to me. I would like to experiment with resedit but was always afraid to change anything in the registry for fear of messing up my OS. I have heard many stories of the bad things that could happen. So, I was wondering if I could create a VHM and play with the registry and test it out in the virtual world before actually making the changes to the registry in the actual OS? This is my second attempt to post this artical. I must have messed up with the first attempt. Sorry if it shows up twice.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

hurleyc33 hi. Of course you can do that in a VM.

Posted 1 year ago

hurleyc33

This is going to sound like a really silly question, but I am going to ask anyway (no laughing please). So, just to make sure, the VM drive will work in every way IN virtual world as the original HHD. I can work out any bugs and export the register from VM to a file and import onto my c: drive? If this is possible I can see me using VM to work out a lot of problems in VM and them correcting my HD.

Thanks for your help. This has been the best responce time I have ever had.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

What you do in a VM, stays in that VM. Unless you command it otherwise.
but also install this on your main system, and use it before you make any changes at all,
http://www.tweaking.com/conten.....ackup.html

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!