The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Terminal Services - specifying the users

(4 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Mustang27
  • Latest reply from Mustang27
  • Topic Viewed 1153 times

Mustang27

Our server is a Win2k3 server Enterprise Edition SP2.

I have configured the Terminal Services License Server and Activated it. Thereafter, I installed and activated 5 Terminal Server CALs(per user basis).

Where do I specify who the users are going to be.

Posted 6 years ago

syn

with this Mustang you don't have to specify with the license who the users will be... that just states that only 5 people can log into the computer at one time. And how to create the user profile (there are many ways) depends on how you are setting up the server.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

syn: I don't think that is it. I think that still only 5 specific chosen users can use the per user cals, they would have to be reassigned for a different set of 5 to connect.
Here is a post with more: http://forums.microsoft.com/Te.....;SiteID=17

How you assign a license to user, I don't know.
I've been searching but so far Microsoft's information on this topic is not very helpful.

Edit: So far from what I've read it appears that Windows Server 2003 doesn't keep track of per user cal usage, it's up the server administrator to make sure only the specific 5 users the cals were for, connect to the server.
Also that will apparently be changed in Windows Server 2008.

Posted 6 years ago

Mustang27

jd2066,

I have managed to get Terminal Services up and running. The licenses is per user - which as syn suggested is 5 users irrrespective of who it is. I have went ahead and created the users and admitted them into Remote Desk User Group. All is fine, after initial sputtering about permissions of the folders I was trying to access.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!