The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Temple of Elemental Evil vs. Vista

(7 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by NuffSedd
  • Latest reply from jd2066
  • Topic Viewed 13193 times

NuffSedd

Okay, I am not really savvy with computers, so I need a "How to fix for dummies" type of answer, if possible...

I bought this game called Temple of Elemental Evil (Dungeons & Dragons) and it loaded properly. When it finished loading, I was given a choice to launch the program immediately. And I was able to play it with no problems. But then after I closed the program, I could not open it up again. "ToEE.exe has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

I uninstalled it and reinstalled it, and once again I was able to play if once, but could not re-start the game after closing it.

Any body?

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

The problem is that you need to right-click the game icon and choose Run As Administrator. At the end of the installation, the game runs as administrator because the installation is run as administrator.

You can go into the advanced properties for the shortcut and choose the option to always run as administrator.

...I laughed when I saw the title of your post... I assumed you were going to compare vista to a temple of elemental evil... pretty funny.

Posted 6 years ago

NuffSedd

Haha! Glad I could make you laugh! Honestly, I sometimes think Vista is on the evil side. I miss my XP...

But I tried your suggestion, and it still gives me the same message even though I tried to run it as administrator... Any other thoughts?

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Have you installed all the patches from the manufacturer's website?

Posted 6 years ago

NuffSedd

I cannot find any patches... But I am starting to think it is an "Atari" problem. I gave up on Temple, and bought Neverwinter Nights 2, another Atari game, and same exact problem. I figure this MUST be a very common Vista Windows problem... Any thoughts? Please?

Posted 6 years ago

supermansghost
supermansghost

There should be an online updater application that comes with the game, which will let you run patches. There's also a whole bunch here:

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.ph.....&id=19

You'll also want to modify the shortcut, go to the compatibility tab and choose XP SP2, and then make sure you right-click and do run as administrator.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

There are patches for Temple of Elemental Evil here: http://www.atari.com/us/suppor.....=DOWNLOADS
They only have patches up to Windows XP but those may help with Vista too.
For Neverwinter Nights 2 there is a patch howto page here: http://www.atari.com/us/suppor.....splay=MAIN
Justin

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.