The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Off Topic

Tech Prices are rising?

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by TaylorCamp
  • Latest reply from owen123
  • Topic Viewed 535 times

TaylorCamp

True? I recently read an article saying that, based on inflation, technology prices are going DOWN, comparatively.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

As new technology appears, older technology does go down in price. Even if new technology doesn't replace older technology, prices tend to go down as the market saturates. Look at the prices of flat screen TVs. Even when not allowing for inflation, the prices for them have been dropping rather dramatically. The price of an equivalent of the 32" flat screen TV I bought three years ago is 2/3 what I paid for mine (and I got it on sale). New computers are better and less expensive than they used to be. I bought a notebook last summer that has four times the RAM, three times the HDD capacity, and a 50% larger screen than my previous netbooks for less than than the netbooks cost me (plus the notebook has an optical drive, something the netbooks didn't). The netbooks were way more powerful with three time the storage than my first desktop ten years ago that cost three times as much. I can buy a calculator for 100 times or more less than the equivalent cost 40 years ago. The last one I bought five years ago cost all of $4, is tiny, and doesn't even need batteries (it was for work but I still carry it in my purse even though I retired three and a half years ago). Forty years ago, you couldn't have bought a calculator like that for any price. I recently bought a 2 TB HDD for less than I paid for a 1 TB HDD three years ago.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Depends in what country you live in.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

True, dat.

Posted 1 year ago

owen123
owen123

SSDs are massively Dropping in prices from about £1 a GB to this: http://www.crucial.com/uk/stor.....T128V4SSD2

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!