SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - Taking Ownership of inaccessible files - win explorer.

(12 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Markup
  • Latest reply from vistual
  • Topic Viewed 1261 times

Markup

Greetings to you

I am new here and do not see an introductory area for new posters so I would just like to say My name is Mark, I send greetings to all on the forum at this time and can I get straight into politely asking for some advice or assistance with a problem I have please?

I am using a HP tx2000 laptop with windows vista installed.

I am trying to access a file, "Temorary Internet Files", in windows explorer. When I double click to open it I get a dialogue saying it is not accessible, "Access is Denied".

I found your site and went to this page http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....-in-vista/ where I downloaded the take ownership zip file. I installed it correctly because when I right clicked on a "Temp" folder I was really impressed to see the take ownership option in the drop down box. I took ownership of the file and everything went exactly as you said it would - Excellent.

When I then right clicked the "Temporary Internet Files", file though I did not get the Take Ownership option in the drop down. I have tried a few times, including reinstalling the file from a fresh download but the file stays stubbornly locked.

Can anyone who may have had the same issue advise me of any further steps I can take or even of a different way I can take ownership of this file please? I have tried right clicking and going through properties to give myself permission but it either does not allow me to complete all of the steps needed or in most cases does not even offer me the "Apply" option when I attempt to make changes.

Any help would be really appreciated, thanks.

Mark

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

It could be that it is not available in your area or country. If that is the case you will not be able to open it.

Can you send a link of the file?

Posted 1 year ago

Markup

Hi there

I am not sure I understand as my knowledge is pretty limited, but do you mean this

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local

I cant understand why if I am the owner - and administrator - of my laptop there are some files that I cannot open even though I suspect that they are loaded with heavy files.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Because, let's just use Youtube as an example. It will not let certain countries open the file because of copyrights. That being said what file is it that you cannot open?

Posted 1 year ago

Markup

It is a file called Temporary internet Files and it is located on my c:drive inside here

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Do you have a clue as to what is on the file? If not why do you care just delete it. If you know what it is and you need it might be worth persuing.

Posted 1 year ago

Markup

As I say I am not too knowledgable around the computer but I have taken an image of screen showing the location of the file on my system...

(Removed oversized image)

Posted 1 year ago

Markup

I cant delete it, when I click on it I get Access is denied, sorry I should have made the image smaller. This is the dialogue box I get when I try to open the file by clicking on it. other files on my laptop allow the Take Ownership option after downloading the installer from your link but this one dies not

Posted 1 year ago

Markup

After removing some programs and deleting other stuff from my machine it seems to have speeded up pretty well now so this has lost the importance I attached to it earlier - and on the bright side I've found this site and have been having a fascinating read through some of the cracking and informative posts on here so I'll stick around I think.

Thanks for taking the time anyway - its just a little frustrating to know that my limited knowledge (at this stage) prevents me from having full control of my laptop. I'm sure I'll get there in the long run as my skill level increases.

Thanks again Warlock!

Posted 1 year ago

vistual
vistual

seems your moving past it but if you still wanna play with it a little - try granting yourself the permissions from the hidden admin account ...
Enable the (Hidden) Administrator Account on Windows 7 or Vista

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Markup

Hi vistual

I was not aware of this feature of windows vista - but I am now, and am very grateful to you. I followed the instructions in your link and hey presto!! My drive is now some 30gb lighter and everything seems to be working as my machine did 3 years ago - INCREDIBLE!

Your help was so spot-on and appreciated, thank you!
Mark

Posted 1 year ago

vistual
vistual

glad to help....had a feeling that would do the trick.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!