How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Taking image of computer operating drive

(39 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by glrsj
  • Latest reply from plotter
  • Topic Viewed 2265 times

glrsj

dear whs,
It has been a month since I wrote anything here. I had tried everything anybody said but without success. I finally gave up in despair. I could download Macrium winPE from you site but could never play any of the video tutorials, which I could find but not play. Yesterday I was just checking somethings on the internet when I found that I could not play small video files not only yours but of anybody else. That is when I asked Google some questions about this and found that others also were facing the same problems, namely, clicking on any small video file a black screen would appear which should have played the video, but the screen had no play, pause, or stop buttons. In fact no buttons of any type except the black screen. If you or anyone can solve this mystery some solutions to the old problem may still be possible.
Thanks in advance. If I get an answer ot would be nice, but if I don't I still appreciate your help so far and wish all of you A Very Happy Christmas and A Peace Filled New Year 2013.
glrsj

Posted 1 year ago

whs

If you cannot play videos from the net, it could be a Flash player problem. Make sure you have the latest Flash player (V11 active X) and the Flash player plug-in installed.

You could also try another browser. If you use FF now, that may be the problem.

Posted 1 year ago

glrsj

Dear whs,
I tried everything you suggested and some extra experiments too. I have failed totally. Installed the latest flashplayer. The video clips are as dark as before. A black screen appears as before and ther are no play/pause/stop buttons seen anywhere. I know the tutorials are there but I just don'ty reach them.
I thank you for your patience but I think you must be as frustrated with me as I am frustrated with this problem. The best thing would be to quit this whole affair, though it is not in my nature to quit easily. These kind of difficulties tickle my curiosity till I find a solution. I shall continue with my search though I can't give too much time for this since I have many other jobs to do. So if you plan to remain patient I may trouble you now and then. On the other hand,if you are fed up with helping me, I wouldn't trouble you any more.
Happy new year.
glrsj

Posted 1 year ago

whs

Hmm, I am out of ideas too. If you are looking for a Macrium tutorial, a while ago I had uploaded a different written tutorial to my Skydrive. You can download that from here: https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=475a0a48ca6d4035&provision=1&ref=3&wa=wsignin1.0&sa=412485191#cid=475A0A48CA6D4035&id=475A0A48CA6D4035%21275

Just right click on the Skydrive file > Download

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

Also here,
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....p-utility/

Posted 1 year ago

whs

I just saw this. Maybe this is your problem: http://ask-leo.com/why_cant_i_.....3V1J3ZdfbL

Posted 1 year ago

glrsj

Dear whs,
After a long time I once again tried to solve my problem of copying an image of my OS drive usung Macrium. I downloaded your latest tutorial. I copied the Macrium program to dvd, inserted the dvd into the cd rom drive, restarted the computer, got the message "please press any key to continue", did that, got the screen as shown in your tutorial and then the problem began. When I clicked on Other Tasks nothing happened, except a small message "network config" which when I pressed opened a panel too complicated for me to fill up.Then i went back to the screen and pressed Other Tasks button many times. Nothing happened. That is my maximum progress.
Have I missed something somewhere? or Am I an unlucky person not meant to solve this problem at all?
An answer would be appreciated. If no answer I will understand your frustration just as I am frustrated. Yhank you.
glrsj

Posted 1 year ago

whs

You are clicking on the wrong thing. You apparently did not study my tutorial thoroughly enough. I am going to help you out but I would appreciate if you get your own neurons working because a posting like this is a lot of work.

Follow the numbers on the 3 pictures and things will work. (click on the pictures - they are hyperlinks)

Posted 1 year ago

glrsj

I understand whs's irritation with my questions. The fact is, I consider, from all that I read that whs's simplified Macrium WinPE. ISO to be the best and the easiest, if it would work for me. I downloaded that program from his Skydrive twice and followed all the instructions. I unzipped the downloaded program, burnt it to CD with Image burner, rebooted the computer with the CD. Then problems begin. Nothing new happened. I tried various combinations possible.like - burnt CD withour ubzipping program; burnt CD with after unzipping program and adding rescue CD and many other combinations. No success.In one of my tries I succeeded in reaching "press any key" and then a picture appeared which is not what is shown as the first picture in whs's tutorial which has lots of details. I have spent many many hours and many days to solve this problem. I am still convinced that whs's program is going to be the best one for me.
If it helps somebody to understand where I have gone wrong here is a small detail. Not to waste too many CDs with mistakes, I burnt my program each time on Rewritable CD. Is my problem because of that? Can anyone explain to me in detail evry step (however insignificant it may seem to others) on how to get that all important bootable CD which will show the full first picture of the Tutorial? I would really appreciate that help from anyone. Thank you.
glrsj

Posted 1 year ago

whs

Did you try to install free Macrium on your system and work from there rather than using the CD with which you apparently have all the problems.

Posted 1 year ago

glrsj

I did not install from the program on the computer since there was no place where the zipped or the unzipped files mentione anything saying "Install". So I had to work only from my CD. Even after sending my las message, again I copied the unzipped files to my CD on my desktop, this time using Nero burner and burning the files as data bootable CD. Then brough the burnt CD to my laptop and booted the laptop. It opened with a lot of DOS commands. I don't know anything about working with DOS. So I deleted evything from the CD. And now I am back to square one.
glrsj

Posted 1 year ago

whs

You cannot install the program from my WinPE .iso. You have to download and install it e.g. from here: http://filehippo.com/download_macrium_reflect/ The download will take a while. It is a 32MB file. Make sure you save the file someplace where you can find it. Use the IE and go to 'Save as'. There you can select the folder where you want it. Then double click on it for the installation.

Posted 1 year ago

glrsj

I think I did everything possible and have failed miserably. I will mention all that I did:- (1) From the downloaded WinPE Rescue CD 5.0.4995 and also from 5603, unzipped file (download file here). Saw 9 folder & files. Tried to burn them to rewritable cd,wth image burn, in various ways. Only last 5 files were burnt not the first four folders. ( 2) installed Macrium free and got more or less the image shown in the tutorial. It asked me to make a recue disk saying PE is over 1 GB. I thought with downloaded recue disk this part was not necessary. (3) Put the above mentioned CD in the drive and restarted the computer. Did not notice anything new. (4) Macrium did not show a single drive from my laptop. But when i attached my 250 GB external hdd it showed only that drive with its capacity and free space. When I removed it again nothing of the laptop drive. (5) Reread the literature that came with the laptop. It says there is no partition, which I suppose means there is only one drive. But even that is not shown in Macrium. How do I ever be able to take an image of the OS drive?
(6) A short time ago installed the same free Macrium on my Desktop having XP os. When I opened the installed program, immediately it showed the C & D drives.
I think it is the end of the road. I thank everyone and especially whs for your help and patience. I could not reply faster because the internet does not work regularly here.
The next reasonable move, I think, is to copy everything on the laptop to an external HDD, through an expert reformat the laptop make at least 2 or 3 partitions, and then try again later to get an image through Macrium.
If anybody has some better practical advice I am ready to listen.
glrsj

Posted 1 year ago

glrsj

Sometime ago I thanked all who helped me with the problem of using Macrium on my laptop and I said I give up in dispair. My friend, a computer expert, tried to help me take an image of my opearating drive with another image making program. That too failed. The message simply said that no image can be taken because there is no partition. Checking with the literature which came with my laptop there also it says there is no partition. So I copied evrything on my laptop to an external hdd and today asked my friend to reformat my laptop and create partitions. he tried every trick that he knew but did not succeed in the task and gave up in frustration. The computer shows 4 partions which were made later but image making programs say there is no partition so cannot take an image.

Once again I give some details of my laptop. It is 14 inch Sony Vaio E series which had factory installed Windows 7 Home Basic on it. I lost all this since I was in a hurry to go away from the shop as it was getting late at night. But I had bought windows 7 ultimate and the shop technician installed that program win 7 ultimate 64 bit,

So now I need your help badly on a few questions. (1) How to reformat my laptop and create partitions? (2) How to bypass whatever blocks Microsoft might have put in the factory installation and do a new clean format? (3) Is this exercise possible at all?

Anybody's immediate help will be highly appreciated, because I know that if I can take an image of a partioned drive, repairing that drive would be a child's play and very fast. I have seen it happening. If anyone is going to answer this I would appreciate a detailed answer with clear steps. Please remember I am not an expert and I will have to show your answer to my friend. Thanks
glrsj

Posted 1 year ago

whs

Although I had my troubles with a Sony Vaio myself, your problem is very strange. I would try this (assuming that is a HDD and not a SSD):

(But if you have any valuable user data on that disk, you should save that first.)

Load the Vaio with the Windows installation disk and find the Command Prompt. Then run these commands one by one each followed by Enter

Diskpart
List disk
Select disk n (where n is the number that was given for your disk in List disk)
Clean
Create partition primary
Format fs=ntfs quick
Active
Exit

Then try to install into that partition you just created.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten

I would rather that the data displayed be posted here? Before the attempt to clean the disk... maybe we'll see something? Also post a DISKMGMT.MSC (Windows Key + R and enter that and take a screenshot and post via an on-line respository) output, it might shed some light on this.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

glrsj

Dear whs,
I showed your instructions to my computer technician friend. He says you have assumed that I have HDD and not SSD. But, he says, I have SSD in my laptop and not HDD. So those instructions will not work for SSD. Could you, therefore, give fresh instructions on how to partition SSD? Thank you in advance.
glrsj

Posted 1 year ago

whs

Did not know you had an SSD. I explicitely said that this is for a HDD. But that is simple. You just have to add a parameter to the Create command. Your technician could have told you that.

Diskpart
List disk
Select disk n (where n is the number that was given for your disk in List disk)
Clean
Create partition primary align=1024
Format fs=ntfs quick
Active
Exit

Posted 1 year ago

plotter

After reading through this post I suspect when Best Buy (or whatever store you bought the pc at told you that splitting the drives could not be done) simply said that because they didn't want to screw with the "recovery" partition. Almost all newer laptops include a "recovery" drive partition that during booting there may be an option that pops up alongside press F2/F11/ESC for BIOS or Boot menu etc. There may be an option that says Recovery F1 or some other key. If you are repartitioning a hard drive It would be best to backup this recovery partition, and if possible after creating a new partition table replace the recovery partition.

But on the flip side of things, the OP sounds like the "average" pc user which really shouldn't be screwing around with partitioning or any bios settings unless they have the time to xxx things up and than google their way back to a working system. There's really no need for the average windows 8 user to have a separate "home" partition aside from their system partition really. On my desktop I do have a separate hard drive for my home folder but I run Linux and theres upsides and downsides to doing this sort of multi partition setup with tmp/ var/ home/ and / all having their own separate part.

Anyways, Goodluck I'll follow this thread.

Edit by mod. Please watch your language. This is a family site.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.