The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

system restore won't work when i click next

(6 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by geekthatswims
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 12046 times

geekthatswims

hi guys im trying to restore my comp cuz internet browser is messed up i know i have connection but the browsers are blank i want to undo last restoration because after i restored i had this problem i click undo restoration, and when i click next nothing happens??? i keep clicking then i wait for like half an hour and its still there its not frozen help plz also some icons on desktop dont open when clicked and AIM is all messed up

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

geekthatswims,

Welcome to HTG.

Try this:

Boot into safe mode by using key F8.

Choose Last Known Good Configuration Boot Selection.

What happens ??

Do you have a COMPLETE copy of XP Pro or XP Home CD ??

This is posted in XP Section of Forum so assume you are running XP.

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

geekthatswims

um when i choose safemode i cant choose the good config selection anymore it says XP or recovery should ijust set my comp to autoboot in safemode and then choose last known good configuration?
I'm pretty sure its XP home

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

geekthatswims,

I don't completely understand what you are saying.

You seem to being saying what I said to do in my previous post.

What is the Make and Model of your computer ??

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

geekthatswims

um i tried what u said to do its not changin anything IE is still messed i got a hp media center PC model m7640n

since system restore and last known good configuration isnt working, i thought about savin my files to CDS and just restoring my comp but im not sure.....

thanx for helpin by the way i appreciate it =)

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

Geekthatswims, hello. I would advise you to back up your important files first, just in case none of these recovery procedures work.

After your data is safe, go back to Safe Mode and boot into a Safe Mode Windows. Try doing the system restore from there. Here is a MS KB article about how to run system restore from a Safe Mode command prompt in case you have problems using the Safe Mode windowed interface.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.