The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - system restore failure

(21 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by campanologist
  • Latest reply from campanologist
  • Topic Viewed 10426 times

campanologist

I have been all over the place with this problem so I thought I would run it by the geek community. My system restore does not work. It creates restore points in the normal manner, but will not complete. after restarting it says my files and settings were not changed. It failed to extract the original copy of the directory from the restore point. source:%system point%\registration.Destination complus staging.I have also tried it in safe mode, no joy. I have disabled avast and done it as some pointed the finger at it, no joy. I have gone into repair my computer in safe mode and found nothing. I have done a sfc in command prompt, nothing found. I have a 15 month old packard bell desktop running W7 home premium 64bit. Some suggested switching it off and buying a program , but I cant believe with all the knowledge out there microsoft cant seem to crack it. I have no idea when this problem started, it may well have never worked since new as I only tried it last week. thank you

Posted 3 years ago

marks100

campanologist hi, have you tried a sfc /scanow click on the start orb ..> in the search box type CMD at the top of the start menu will be a cmd black icon

r/click on this in the drop-down that appears select 'run as administrator ' in the command box type sfc /scannow note the space between c / let it Finnish

and post back the results .

mark.

Posted 3 years ago

campanologist

Yes, as I said and it came up negative. thank you

Posted 3 years ago

marks100

sorry re-read your post bad habit of mine not reading thoroughly :( sorry .EDIT :there is always a clean install if you have the o/s disk not a nice way to go but maybe an option .

mark.

Posted 3 years ago

germ-x

Have you tried making a new restore point now? You shouldn't need to restart your system to make a restore point.
EDIT: You might also have a look at this
http://www.groovypost.com/howt.....ore-point/

Posted 3 years ago

marks100

also this, try start > control panel > system >advanced system seetings > in system properties >system protection tab ,configure .... is the slider about 20% if so click ok !

mark.

Posted 3 years ago

campanologist

Germ X .. it is creating restore points all the time in the normal manner
Marks...The slider is set at about 5%

Posted 3 years ago

StringJunky

Have you tried this command in Command Prompt?

chkdsk /r /f

Tony

Posted 3 years ago

campanologist

NO that is one thing I have not tried, I will give it a go . Thank you

Posted 3 years ago

campanologist

I have tried it, but get the following; The type of file is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time system restarts[Y/N]
I said Y and restarted the comp, but nothing happenrd on restart, so I went back into command prompt bot got the same message when I tried it. Thank you

Posted 3 years ago

brooksters

try turning system restore off and then back on to clear all the previous restore points ?

Posted 3 years ago

vistamike

campanologist, now that rings a bell! Have you tried system restore in safe mode?

Mike

Posted 3 years ago

campanologist

Mike Yes I said so in my first post. I tried to list everything to avoid duplication
Brookster thank you, I have done as you suggested and created a new restore point.
I have tried a restore to that point but it has come up failure with the same message

Posted 3 years ago

vistamike

Sorry, I missed that bit!

Mike

Posted 3 years ago

campanologist

No probs I am glad of the help. I am a bit mystified as to why the suggestion of chkdsk by stringy is failing. I wonder if it can be connected to my system restore problem. any ideas as to why it wont do it

Posted 3 years ago

studio

Hi campanologist,
This may sound a bit strange, but here goes:

Insert your windows 7 disk and start the installer. Choose Upgrade. This will replace your registry files, which may well fix your system restore problem.

Hope this is of some help,
Studio.

Posted 3 years ago

StringJunky

It concerns me that your chkdsk doesn't work as well...I'd be inclined to re-install. Studio's suggestion is a good idea if you have a proper W7 disk...it's called an 'in-place upgrade' which replaces the OS files but doesn't touch settings and personal stuff....you have to do all the updates again though.

The long term solution is to reinstall your system...get it perfect...then image it. If you ever get a problem or malware thereafter you just put a saved image over the old one...10-15 mins...problem over!! It's what alot of people do that frequent this forum. :)

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....p-utility/

Posted 3 years ago

campanologist

Thank You Stringy and Studio, that looks like a cracking link. I dont have a windows 7 disc, but I have 3 dvds recovery 1,2 and 3 which I made up when I installed the computer 15 months ago. I take it these are what are needed for a complete reinstall, but I wonder if maybe the first disc may give me the upgrade option you speak of, I have been reluctant to go down the road of a reinstall of a system which is only 15 months old and was no trouble at all until i found out about the system restore last week, but it is looking rather ominous

Posted 3 years ago

StringJunky

It's most likely that you've got Recovery partition as well...have a look in Start > All Programs and Start > Help and Support to see if their is reference to this...it might have a Repair option in it...post the model number and we'll have a look around if you get stuck.

When a problem drags out and System Restore doesn't have many options to fix it it saves time in the long run to start again but imaging it this time round means that hard slog can be a thing of the past when it's done.

Tony

Posted 3 years ago

germ-x

do you have Norton A/V ? This might prevent you from doing a restore.
Here is another option. It is for Vista but might work with 7
http://www.ehow.com/way_536552.....-work.html

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.