How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

System restore does not work properly

(9 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by alfgomezjr
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 13567 times

alfgomezjr
alfgomezjr

Recently I had to restore my computer (4 months old) to factory condition since I had a problem with Vista. An automatic update changed my Vista license to an invalid one an my computer could only be used for the Internet and only for 1 hour at a time. After e-mailing Microsoft support technicians for a month with no results, I went ahead and performed a system recovery and restored the computer to the factory condition (I don't know if I am using the correct terminology). Then I disabled the Automatic Updates feature so it has to ask me if I want the updates.

Now, the system restore hardly ever works, even when using the recommended checkpoints or any other available date.

I have read somewhere that it can be due to having Norton anti virus installed but it does not make much sense to me. Please consider that I am not too computer-savvy.
What can be causing this problem?
Thank you.

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

System restore can have a lot of issues depending on what you have running... antivirus software especially.

My advice would be to always use system restore from Safe mode, which you can enter by hitting the F8 key right as Windows is booting up. You'll have much better luck by doing that.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Norton and MS got into a running battle over Vista SP-1 and XP SP-3 problems. Go here, read and follow link for possible fix. http://solutions.symantec.com/.....30144453EN This should probably be cross posted to XP Forum.

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Al, hola y bienvenidos. Which Norton product are you using exactly? There are a lot of different packages from Norton: AV 2008, Internet Security, 360, and so on. Also, what happens when you try to do a system restore? Do you get an error message or does it just not work. Can you manually create a Restore Point? This can be done at Control Panel -> (System and Maintenance) -> System -> System Protection. At the bottom there is a button, "Create...", which allows you to create your own custom restore point.

Posted 5 years ago

alfgomezjr
alfgomezjr

The Geek said: "System restore can have a lot of issues depending on what you have running... antivirus software especially.
My advice would be to always use system restore from Safe mode, which you can enter by hitting the F8 key right as Windows is booting up. You'll have much better luck by doing that."

Thanks for all your answers. I tried to run System Restore from Safe Mode but it does not work, it does nothing. Any more ideas?

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

A couple of points
1. Do you have Vista SP1 installed. If no, I would install it.
2. You probably have an OEM Vista (if it came with the PC). For that you get no support from MS. You have to go to the maker of our PC.
3. It is not normal that an update invalidates your Vista license. I would discuss that with the PC manufacturer too.
4. Check once, how much shadowstorage is allocated (that is where the restore points (shadows) go). Go to All programs > Accessories > Command Prompt > right click on Command Prompt > run as Administrator. Now you get a little black OS window. Here you type VSSADMIN LIST SHADOWSTORAGE - check for your OS disk (most likely C:\) how much it says for MAXIMUM. If it is smaller than 1GB, no shadows (restore points) can be written. If that is the case, come back and we'll tell you how to fix that.

Posted 5 years ago

KayEee

whs, thanks for your feedback. Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you. I am still having the same problem. I have a ticket into Microsoft but am not holding my breath.
Just checked Shadow Copy Storage Space. It is 68.356 GB.
The application (System Restore) seems to work find as long as I do not restart or turn the computer off. I even restored to a previous point yesterday as a test. As stated earlier, if I restart or shut down, when I launch System Restore, the application tells me I have "No restore points have been created on your computer's system disk. Currently running PC-chilin. I will try running System Restore from Safe Mode but can not imagine how it will work if there are not points saved to the system disk.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

You can always check whether you have restore points (shadows) with VSSADMIN LIST SHADOWS - the rest as above. This will list all your restore points on all volumes. Btw. 68GB's is plenty - that's enough for about 50 to 60 days (depends how many downloads and updates you do during that period). You must have a 500GB disk with C:\ at 454GB's.
What make (manufacturer) system do you have?

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

KayEee, you are posting in the wrong thread. Please go back to the thread that you started for more assistance:
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....it-working

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!