SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

System Restore, Automatically Created Points?

(2 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by mados123
  • Latest reply from mados123
  • Topic Viewed 724 times

mados123

Hey guys,

I am trying to find out exactly when "Automatically Created Points" are created other than the typically driver update, windows update, program install, etc. I ask this as I am using a program other that Windows' to do my nightly backups but I like the restore previous version option feature for files when restore points are created. I'm already using the automatic vbs script to create restore points at startup but say if my computer is on for a week straight with no driver updates, program installs, etc, then when are the restore points automatically created throughout the day? I guess I can run the startup script ever 4 hours or so for me but I am looking to see if my clients have file restore with their out-of-the box System Restore settings.

Thanks!

Posted 4 years ago

mados123

Update:

After going into Scheduled Tasks, I saw that there is already a scheduled task setup by MS. It stated that it was to be run at 12am (but did not specify to be repeated) and to be run if a scheduled task was missed (in this case the computer might have been off at 12am and woke at 4:25??).
Also it was specified to run at startup (w/ 30 minutes delay). As a test which I will observe over the next few days, I removed my vbs startup script, kept MS's default scheduled time task and changed the repeat task option to every 4 hours, changing the duration to indefinitely. My computer is pretty fast so the frequent system restore points will not affect my performance and I will keep my nightly backups to an external drive as a daily backup. (just thought, I will see if I can automatically disable the backups though if I am gaming).

Again, this is to address the fact that MS's great integration of restore previous versions doesn't save earlier copies whenever there is a change to the file but only when an event (backup or system restore point) triggers versioning. That would be a nice change if they did integrate that.
(Good thing I copied my text before I was timed out to post the update!)

Visual of Windows 7, default Scheduled System Restore and modified

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!